Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

water pump seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump seal replacement

I got my stuff back from the machine shop and got the top end put back together. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Now i'm changing the waterpump seal and i'm having trouble getting the old seal out. I seem to remember running a screw into it to pull it out last time i changed it but, I think I changed the oil seal behind it last time also. Can I still do that or will I likely hurt the oil seal?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kept messing with it until I got the brass (or copper?) piece of the seal out by prying the little lip around the edge inward until it loosened up enough to come out. I used a small flat head screwdiver and a small piece of rubber between the screw driver and the case as to not scratch or scar it up and it eventually came right out. I did look through over forums and apparently there's a special tool for this. I never saw a picture or part number but a bunch of folks kept saying there is one. Hope this helps somebody else down the road!

Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmuddin284
I kept messing with it until I got the brass (or copper?) piece of the seal out by prying the little lip around the edge inward until it loosened up enough to come out. I used a small flat head screwdiver and a small piece of rubber between the screw driver and the case as to not scratch or scar it up and it eventually came right out. I did look through over forums and apparently there's a special tool for this. I never saw a picture or part number but a bunch of folks kept saying there is one. Hope this helps somebody else down the road!
Yes there is a special tool that pulls the outer seal housing,then the legs of the puller go inside the remainder of the seal to pull it out. Count yourself lucky if you didn't bend the water pump shaft. I've had to replace several from people that have done this and it's not cheap to spit an engine. Cheaper to just let a dealer pull the seal or even cheaper to buy the blamed tool at 149 bucks rather than possibly paying 5 or 6 times it's price on shaft replacement.

Attached Thumbnails water pump seal replacement-s-l1600.jpg