Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

lean fuel symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh man... I've done something similar years ago but with less disastrous consequences. Left a shop rag in a Ktm air box after servicing it and we couldn't get it started. Even pushed it in the parking lot and popped it into gear and still couldn't get it to hit. And I was the idiot doing all the pushing.. It finally dawned on me and I found the shop towel..We all had a good laugh about it,even me as tired as I was.. On a different note,IF you can get the rag situation sorted out,most of the time sensors aren't the problem. The wiring harnesses are as the manual states: "85% of efi problems are wiring related,not the sensors themselves"

Old 01-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with ya on the wiring problems. I found alot of things I didnt like about polaris wiring during this adventure. So basically my diagnosis is that more than likely the rags have been ground into a sludge hopefully they are all in the filter. Basically the top end isnt oiling so the lifters have gradually lost some prime which is preventing the valves opening up all the way causing this popping and cracking. I honestly still cant believe Ive done this its the first time in 25 years of building engines of various types ive ever had this happen. Oh well we all make mistakes. Im sure Ill end up pulling the head and cylinder back off and going through and cleaning all that I can that way if I cant clean it to satisfaction that way then I guess Ill have to pull the engine and split the case one it and clean out the whole bottom end.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh crap. You're right. We all make mistakes. One of mine was playing handyman. I wanted to tear out some paneling in one room and put a hammer through the wall in the next room. It was above the bathtub and I was so screwed I didn't know what to do. Luckily my dad came to visit and we put in a plastic tub surround. I've made so many mistakes doing so many things I can't keep track of them all but that's the first one that came to mind.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final update

With winter over a crazy spring and finally time to work on my rzr again. I pulled the motor tore it down and sure enough it was full of ground up rags. A few handfulls of sludge, a 6 pack of brake kleen, and lots of shop rags i cleaned every inch and related part inside and out. Although the bearings didnt appear damaged i went ahead and replaced them all. Put another new set of rings on the new pistons i figured while im hear best not to chance it. Reassembled and put back in. Fired right up but the lifters werent priming. I remember pulling the oil pressure regulator and cleaning and that it still looked new but i thought i should check it again just to make sure i did i had put the piston in upside down mistakenly. Put it back together and it started right up and quieted down and so far its running great. Thanks for the input from everyone that did so.