Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris Magnum 425

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Magnum 425

I have polaris magnum 425 with electrical problems. I can pull start with engine running good but no electric working. It doesn't matter if key is on or off, it will still pull start. Battery is good. I have unplugged all leads on terminal below handlebar and then reattached but still no luck with using the battery to start the engine. All work fine until about two weeks ago when I encountered this problem. All input is appreciated. I have thought about replacing the rectifier but not sure if this is where I need to start. Thanks

Old 02-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Man this is getting more common everyday.. Try this first as a lot of people have solved this because either the pickup coil is getting weak(should ohm out at around 97 ohms on the white and white/red wires) or it's too far from the flywheel.Pull starts ok as the recoil starter can put more torque on the flywheel,but electric starter can't get enough speed to produce spark. Here's a post from a while back on the same thing. His rope broke and knocked the bracket back a little.Hopefully that may be your problem.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476 Plus forgot to mention that a little dirt on the face of the pick up coil can do the same thing. Distance from the pick up coil to the flywheel strip should be between .016-0.40 Closer the better seems like.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-26-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: dirt on pick up coil..
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I may have misread this post also.. IF you're not getting power at all to the dash,lights,etc then it could be as simple as 20 amp circuit breaker may have faulted.Ignition is magneto triggered, separate from the battery and you can always pull start one. If you're not getting power to the dash,lights,etc,check that you have power on each side of the breaker that's in a sealed pouch. Located up from the battery on the main harness.You can slice the pouch ooen if it's not allowing voltage to go through and replace this breaker. Just a few bucks at any auto supply.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Magnum 425-1000936wj9.jpg