Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

New to me Predator won't start

Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me Predator won't start

Hi, new to the forums, and new to polaris'

I just bought a 2003 Predator 500. I got the bike to start last night after charging up the battery. This morning I changed the spark plug, engine oil, gas, tried to start it... it would crank but that is all. I tried charging the battery but still the same. I bought a new battery. Tried starting it, it cranked and cranked then cranked on its own for a couple seconds (without me pressing the starter) and died. Now when I hit the started the Magnetic Switch clicks once, but that is all.

I tried jumping the poles, but got nothing. Any ideas? I ran the bike up and down the road once last night then brought it in turned it off. Turned it back on an hour later for 2 minutes, then went to bed.

JR

Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like with all the cranking you may have fried the solenoid(magnetic switch) plus could also be a starter if jumping the posts didn't help. Try 12 volts directly to the starter and see if it turns over. If doesn't turn over could be the starter or starter clutch. Plus a lot of people don't realize that the Predator needs to have the valve clearance adjusted fairly often.This could be the reason for the hard starting. I've had several brought into the shop that wouldn't run because of tight valves. This is a shim under bucket system and best to have a shop adjust the valves unless you want to buy a bunch of shims. Item#6. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
If you don't have a manual here's a cheap 5 buck pdf service manual that can help you track down problems.2003 Polaris Predator 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tested the starter with 12v direct...nothing. I removed the starter and tested it again. Nothing. So I have the answer to one problem.

Is there a way to bench test the Solenoid to see if it also needs to be replaced?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Easiest way is to just leave it hooked up to the battery and check if voltage passes to the starter side of the solenoid with either a test light or meter when you hit the start button. You can tear the starter apart if you want to and see if you can clean it up or if a brush kit is needed,but as for me I'd replace it. We had used starters rebuild and more than half wouldn't last a few months,so we stopped.Here's a cheap place plus you can check Ebay. DB Electrical - Predator

Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I received the new solenoid. The starter should be here tonight. I have been going through the bike repairing patch jobs the previous owner had made. One thing I noticed...

There are 3 wires that were run directly to the positive terminal on the battery. These wires were bare and came from near the area were the solenoid plug is.

What are these wires? Should the be run directly to the positive terminal? Obviously they shouldn't be bare which makes me thing they should go to another location.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Unless the PO wire up something directly to the battery,sounds like you need to remove them especially if they are bare wires. Reg/rectifier is mounted under the battery box,but I believe it had a it's own connections.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I received the new solenoid and starter. All I get is a click from the solenoid. I checked the solenoid. I'm getting 12v there. I bench tested the starter, it spins fine. I have 12.42v at the battery. I moved the starter clutch with my finger, it spins in one direction and not the other.

I'm stumped!

Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jrahman
I received the new solenoid and starter. All I get is a click from the solenoid. I checked the solenoid. I'm getting 12v there. I bench tested the starter, it spins fine. I have 12.42v at the battery. I moved the starter clutch with my finger, it spins in one direction and not the other.

I'm stumped!
Then try to turn the flywheel by hand. If you can't you could have more problems than just a starter.Plus if you haven't had the battery load tested could be a dead cell even if it shows to be charged up. May show 12+ volts but may not have enough amperage to operate under a load.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Took the cover off, the flywheel is not turning. The gears are not turning either. When I installed the new starter it acted like it wanted to start, but then stopped. since then, nothing.

Do you think it's the starter clutch? Or could it be something else? There was a little oil and some metal shavings in there.

If there is any other information that can help troubleshoot this please let me know, and thank you for the help. I'd probably be parting this thing out by now, lol.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Starter clutches were problems in all machines that had them,either street or dirt,but make sure you can physically turn the crank over by hand to eliminate an engine lock up.Plus I'd still have the battery load tested at any auto store!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me Predator won't start