Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

No spark with key

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have problems within the stator,flywheel,pick up coil you can still have a no spark condition with a good fully charged battery.But would recoil start. That's what was frustrating to people. Plus again not just the pickup coil,but the cdi charge coil in the stator itself can cause problems. This 5 buck manual has the specs on it also. 2003 Polaris Scrambler 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I reconnected the black cdi wire and now it stays running unless I turn it off. Not exactly sure why or if it was a connection issue that was fixed by taking everything apart and putting back together but it's working. Still won't start with the electric start though. I pulled the flywheel and the stator looks like brand new flywheel had no rust on the inside. I took the connections apart at the start solonoid and sanded them and reinstalled. Still same thing. I added a battery charger onto the battery for extra juice and no change. Excessive starter draw? I can bring my amp clamp home tomorrow and see what the draw is.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still can be a weak pick up coil that can only start with the recoil starter. Id still go through the control switch wiring since you're able to hook up the black cdi wire now.Control switch can still be a problem. Again pick up coils are a cheap part that you can try especially since this ones been hit in the past. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pick-Up-Coi...daYniO&vxp=mtr

Old 01-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Now that I'm to this point the pickup coil is where I'll go thank you sir for your help. Now to shake down the rest of the machine if the owner will get me the fuel tank lol. How problematic are the front hubs. This ones missing both front cv shafts from the cv to the front diff ujoint for some reason

Old 01-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Fuel tank and drive shafts missing...PO more than likely had problems or simply destroyed the drive shafts and used it a a 2 wheel drive. You need the manual I listed for hub service as there is a lot to check and parts that may need replacing. You have a project on your hands.. Here's a video on hub service.

Attached Thumbnails No spark with key-c76be85f8a3e2caa629edf51c80587ee0b01d029.png   No spark with key-720587ba01d5e214ebe6cc3f5d0260c683afb833.png  
Old 01-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

The machines owner lent it out years ago and guess the shafts broke so they were just removed. The spindle part is still installed with the 4x4 hubs etc. the machines exterior was completely removed to troubleshoot the no spark condition and supposedly is in his barn just have to get it. But clutches are completely coroaded when I started testing the driveline with it raised the clutches are stuck lol. Lots of tinkering

Old 01-26-2018, 12:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Soaking over a few days with PB Blaster or Deep Creep can help you free the clutches up.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I installed a new pickup coil and still no spark with the electric start. So aggravating.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Do you still have the cdi kill wire hooked up? If so,remove it and see if you have spark like you had before.Plus what resistance reading do you have on the stator exciter coils? Should be either a red and green or black/red and green wires. Shows to have 1.6 ohms between the red and green wires,446 ohms between the black/red and green wires.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-09-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: stator resistance.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

No change with the black wire disconnected. Spark with pull rope but not e start. Couldn't get readings on the exciter coil meter was dead. Wires appear to be red and red/black.

Quick Reply: No spark with key