Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

No spark with key

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark with key

Ok so I've been doing a lot of reading everywhere about this. I've got no spark with the electric start. With the black wire off the cdi it will run. It will crank with the key but no spark. It will start with the pull start but the key won't turn it off I have to plug the black cdi wire back in. The cdi was replaced because their wasn't any spark at all even pulling it. I'm getting around 200 ohm between the black and brown wires when tested at the key switch. If I unplug the black wire at the reverse limiter that goes to open but still no start.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Leave the black wire from the reverse limiter unplugged any way. They all fail and can cause problems in reverse(dying) and in forward range.With the black kill wire disconnected at the cdi this isolates it from the ignition switch and left control switch kill circuit. A wiring short or problem in either of these switches can cause problems. A lot of people have had to replace ignition switches and left control switches over the years.Plus even though it's a new cdi(aftermarket I presume) doesn't mean that the black kill wire couldn't have shorted out internally itself. Hit or miss on some aftermarket electrical parts. Another thing about being able to pull start it but not being able to have spark with the electric starter sounds like what this member had problems with and how he solved it by moving the pick up coil inward. Becoming a common problem on the 500 whether the pick up coil was hit or not. As they get older the pickup coil may need to be move close to the flywheel.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476 This may solve the problem with the electric start,but if you cant kill it,you need to see if the ignition switch or left control switch or their wiring is the cause of not being able to have the cdi kill wire hooked up.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Wes_scooter1
Ok so I've been doing a lot of reading everywhere about this. I've got no spark with the electric start. With the black wire off the cdi it will run. It will crank with the key but no spark. It will start with the pull start but the key won't turn it off I have to plug the black cdi wire back in. The cdi was replaced because their wasn't any spark at all even pulling it. I'm getting around 200 ohm between the black and brown wires when tested at the key switch. If I unplug the black wire at the reverse limiter that goes to open but still no start.
Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Leave the black wire from the reverse limiter unplugged any way. They all fail and can cause problems in reverse(dying) and in forward range.With the black kill wire disconnected at the cdi this isolates it from the ignition switch and left control switch kill circuit. A wiring short or problem in either of these switches can cause problems. A lot of people have had to replace ignition switches and left control switches over the years.Plus even though it's a new cdi(aftermarket I presume) doesn't mean that the black kill wire couldn't have shorted out internally itself. Hit or miss on some aftermarket electrical parts. Another thing about being able to pull start it but not being able to have spark with the electric starter sounds like what this member had problems with and how he solved it by moving the pick up coil inward. Becoming a common problem on the 500 whether the pick up coil was hit or not. As they get older the pickup coil may need to be move close to the flywheel.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476 This may solve the problem with the electric start,but if you cant kill it,you need to see if the ignition switch or left control switch or their wiring is the cause of not being able to have the cdi kill wire hooked up.
I played with the pickup coil already it had gotten hit by a broken rope I'm told this atv has sat idle for 8 years after the owner had issues with the spark and just parked it outside

Old 01-24-2018, 05:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have played with the pickup coil as I found lots of people talk about that being an issue with the electric start. This one had been hit by a broken pull rope many years ago and had a big gap before I cleaned and adjusted it. The quad had sat outside 8+ years after loosing spark originally and I know the left handlebar control is iffy. I pulled the black wire out of the connector trying to isolate. The lights and everything work.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ohm out the pick up coil. 97 ohms +/- 10%. If it's out of range cheap item on ebay or amazon. Left control switch can operate the lights or the over ride button,but still can have problems in the on/off section as many have. You can't tear into one because small parts will fly out. This may also be something you have to replace. Sitting outside doesn't help either on the flywheel or the stator itself. If you haven't pulled the flywheel and cleaned the stator and the flywheel itself,that may help.You don't say what year model/engine you have,but all the older ones were magneto triggered ignitions and even the old stator exciter coil along with the pick up coil on the first Sportsmans and Magnums could cause problems if weak.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

The pickup coil ohmed good when I did the first testing. Sorry didn't relize I hadn't put the machine info 2003 scrambler 500. I removed the black wire I followed from the key/cdi circuit from the connector going into the left control should that bypass the kill circuit in the left handlebar. I haven't taken the flywheel off to clean the stator I will bring my puller home from work and do that.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What I meant by the left control switch is that if you get it running you may still have to replace it if it's the cause of no spark when you hook the cdi kill wire back up. Either that or run a toggle switch off the cdi black wire to ground as some have done to keep from buying a control switch or from replacing a faulty cdi that the kill wire shorted out internally. Ignition is a separate item,but you have to have some way of killing it..

Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks sir. I'll do some more tonight. If the cdi black wire is off will the key/electric start start it or have to pull rope. It will crank but not start with the key

Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cdi kill wire disconnected doesn't have anything to do with the electric starter. If you still have problems in the stator or pick up coil area,it may not be able to spin fast enough to generate spark where by using the recoil starter you would be able to. That was the main point that a lot of people had with ignition problems like this.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll pull the flywheel and clean the inside and stator and see if that helps. So basically if the stator isent able to put out as much voltage due to the rust that will affect getting spark even with a full battery. I read somewhere to that the pulse coil can get weak and combined with the starter draw it can cause no spark with key?

Quick Reply: No spark with key