Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

06 Sportsman 800 stumble

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Sportsman 800 stumble

06 Sportsman 800
Has intermittent stumble/miss. When I first brought it home it was good. I have had two episodes of the issues that "fixed itself" after about 15 seconds of a mid throttle miss. Stator had one leg test bad. New stator/battery/regulator and it ran fine for two days around the ranch (about 15 miles on it) before it has the issue constantly.
Will start and idle normal. As soon as throttle is applied there is a stumble and it will die. I can bump the throttle several times to get through the idle transition but it still has a miss. Stator/regular/battery all test good.

Checked all wiring for the sensors (visual and tug), no issues found. TPS sensor checks out(correct voltages, no skips while applying throttle), TBAP has a new pigtail. Right now I have excessive amp draw. Key off it shows 1.10 amps. So far, have traced it to the ecu. Unplug the ecu and the draw drops to .07 amps.

I'm thinking that the stator died for the previous owner and spiked the speedometer and ecu. The speedometer reads a constant 18 volts even though the regulator is putting out a solid 14 volts.

Am I wrong in believing it is the ECU that is the problem?
Does anyone make an aftermarket ECU for a 2006 Sportsman 800?

Thanks
c

Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

At this point cheaper to let Digital Wrench find the problem rather than randomly throwing more parts at it. Usually a 1 hr labor charge can keep you from chasing around. The stumbling itself may be able to be solved by having the ecu reflashed while you have it hooked up to Digital Wrench. Visual checks and tugging on the sensor wiring may not always find a fault either. These small sensor wires can melt internally along with the connector pins pulling out and can't make good contact with the sensors. You say you've replace one repair harness for the tbap. If it's a Polaris harness it's still junk. Otb has better connector and wiring kits if you need them.https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 01-29-2018, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Closest digital wrench is over an hour away and $105 for the diagnostic. The OTB tool is looking better all the time.
The previous owner replaced the TBAP pigtail with an OTB pigtail.

Did a little more checking last night and found the fuel filter installed backwards (new on in there now pointing the right way). One plug wire had zero tension on the plug (two new wires on). Going to back-probe the ecu today to try and find where that 1 amp is flowing to.

c

Old 03-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

My 06 800 was running erratic as well, eventually wouldn't get up and go but would idle perfectly forever. I eventually took it to shop expecting the worse, and it was simply plug wires and was told this was common for the age of bike.
Good luck

Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

New plugs and wires.

Took it to the dealer, they called back and said bad TBAP. Had them replace it with no change in how it runs. It still has the (intermittent) stumble just off idle (100 rpm or so) and popping in mid-range (2,500 rpm). Sometimes it runs perfectly, sometime it runs like crap (popping/missing). Asked what digital wrench showed and they said there was no way to hook up to the computer. I then showed them the plug in the speedo pod labeled (EFI Diagnostics) and the four-pin connector behind it.

They said Digital Wrench could not be hooked to this quad.

So what system was used for diagnostics on the 2006 800 EFI Sportsman?

They have over six hours into it at this point and I'm starting to doubt the techs ability.
Turns out, they pulled codes indicating TBAP and decided it was bad, not reading actual issues at the sensor.
The latest (from the dealer) is that the TPS signal is backwards (Reads 5v at idle and swings to 2.5v with throttle) but has no codes. When I had it, I read .7V at idle (engine off) and smooth swing to 2.5v full throttle. I'm thinking that the tech was reading the reference voltage instead of the signal (can't verify since it's still at the dealer). I can't imagine a TPS failure mode that would do this, especially where it wouldn't set a code. I'm kicking myself for not pulling apart the OTB plug/harness (installed by previous owner) and checking for problems, I just "assumed" it was good to go.

The service mgr thinks it might be a mis-adjusted throttle/tps putting it into a "limp home" mode (without setting a code). I could buy that if it was a continuous failure (missing/popping) and set a code,

So I'm left with trying to help them find a way to access the diagnostic port and hoping to find something there.

c473

Old 04-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Think you need to find another dealer.. Look under the panel below the headlight pod(if I remember correctly.) Should be a plug capped off with a piece of purple plastic. That's the diagnostic plug in. Also look past the point that the harness kit connectors end at.I've had to go into the main harness area and have found wiring shorts there from the tbap.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

There is only the four-pin connector behind the "EFI Diagnostic" plug next to the ignition switch.

So going back to the service manual, I see clearly the reference to "Digital Wrench" and the four-pin connector. Calling the dealer now.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have they ever worked on a Polaris ATV before? They sure don't act like it.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found out they've been a Polaris dealer for about 2 years and have a lot of turn over in the shop. The service mgr asked me if I wanted a job. Probably going to go in and show them how to diagnose a problem (I used to do it for a living, on cars though). The tech seems really green.

I'm still leaning towards a wiring issue (like the book says, 80% are), I just can't find it while it's happening, and can't make it happen by moving wiring harness(s). Maybe I'll call autoenginuity and see if they think it's worth a bit of coding. I'd pay $200 for that module in a heartbeat.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by c473
I found out they've been a Polaris dealer for about 2 years and have a lot of turn over in the shop. The service mgr asked me if I wanted a job.
That tells you something there.. If you can find a good dealer,shouldn't be a problem on Digital Wrench. OBD sets are getting cheaper,but still need to come down for the average owner. https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/obd/ https://otbpowersports.com/product/ct-pol-afedxz-001/

Quick Reply: 06 Sportsman 800 stumble