Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

06 sportsman awd engages when in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 sportsman awd engages when in 2wd

I bought the quad, and experienced the awd stuck... I tore it down and found nothing wrong with the cage or any rollers... maybe the armature plate slightly wore and it wasnt even... I replaced everything. And it worked fine... now I recently noticed that the awd kicks in when its in 2wd. It happens when im heavy with the throttle. Iv researched this for hours upon hours and im really not looking forward to pulling it apart again. Iv ran it by my buddies and they cant seem to think of anything but maybe its the armature plate getting magnitized. I have no clue and its really annoying. If you can give me some suggestions it would really help me out.

Thanks for your time!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Look for hairline cracks in the plastic roll cage.Easily over looked that can open and cause the roll cage to lock in even if it's in 2 wheel drive.Also armature plates can magnetize on this model same as the old hub mounted armature plates could. If you tear it down again install an aluminum roll cage from Quad Logic or other suppliers and a new armature plate.Hopefully that should solve it.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, Now the aluminum one wouldnt mess anything up if it slames in again? And aslo I heard you can you JD parts and its cheaper is that true? Hey thanks for the response, I tried to private message you but it didnt go through.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Skip the JD parts as that was what people first went to before the aluminum roll cages started showing up. Plus JD is a harder plastic which is ok,but some had problems breaking them in because the length was more than the oem plastic cages.You can tear up anything especially if you slam the awd on while the rear wheels are spinning. Either stop to engage or you can engage awd while driving as long as the rear tires aren't slipping. Forged aluminum cages are a lot tougher and usually once and done when you install it and a new plate.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, so even if in the future The armature plate magnetizes and im running the aluminum Cage, I wont have any worries? It sucks cause I got the new cage and plate from quad logic

Old 02-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Any anything else I should be on the look out for with the model?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you don't have the manual here's one for 5 bucks..A picture is worth a thousand words or so they say and this cheap manual has plenty of them along with help on service and any future repairs mechanical or electrical.If you service it with in reason you should have a good machine that will last. A lot of that depends on the previous owner and how he maintained it also. You don't say whether a 500,700 or 800 you have so take your pick.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download

Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, bought one last night. Alright... I will tear it apart in the spring, and see what I find. Ill replace the cage with the aluminum one and replace the plate... Hopefully that stops this issue of jumpin in to 4. I just realized that the old plate was slightly magnetized. So im looking forward to pulling it apart.

Is this the only way to reach you? Just incase somthing arises... my polaris dealer is like talking to a wall.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Also check output shafts,bearings,etc when you have it apart. Quit pm a long time ago. Too much hassle,easier to have everything out not only for the poster but for other people that might have similar problems.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awsome. What exactly am I looking for when it comes to output shafts?

Quick Reply: 06 sportsman awd engages when in 2wd