Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Help separating rear axle sportsman 500 1998

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you can get a refund on parts,I'd chunk those old drive shafts and get a couple new ones.Not worth messing with if the shaft is frozen. The aftermarkets have only been out a short time I believe. Look at the high dollar prices some are asking for old worn out driveshafts in this listing also.Not worth messing with compared to the new ones.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/1380110%20Polaris?rmvSB=true
Umm... yeah.... I think thats a good idea. Do you think there is any good reason to get a matching pair of axles for the rear? Or just replace the one thats broke? Sometimes I cant tell the best "common sense" on these things haha. I bought that 2nds part used for $60 and thats not worth it now thinking about. I will lose about $15 sending it back. but it seems worth it. But should i get 2 axles or just the 1?

Originally Posted by 850 trailrider
Under the rubber boot #4 on OPT's picture the piece on longer shaft should be collar that has to be unscrewed to get the piece that's frozen out before you slip the new one into [seal OPT referring to is in there] Similar to a canning jar lid without the middle If that makes any sense? don't know how else to describe
I am going to look at that tonight and see if thats a thing. Although, if its suppost to move in and out freely over bumps etc, then why wont it move? Thats the only thing thats making me think there is no collar keeping it from moving. I will investigate tho.

Thanks. And I will update this post.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by unitoo1
Umm... yeah.... I think thats a good idea. Do you think there is any good reason to get a matching pair of axles for the rear? Or just replace the one thats broke? Sometimes I cant tell the best "common sense" on these things haha. I bought that 2nds part used for $60 and thats not worth it now thinking about. I will lose about $15 sending it back. but it seems worth it. But should i get 2 axles or just the 1?
Entirely up to you,but if mine I'd get the pair and you'd be done with it. 135 each or 258 for the pair.https://www.ebay.com/p/Pair-of-Rear-...d=272519872595

Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Entirely up to you,but if mine I'd get the pair and you'd be done with it. 135 each or 258 for the pair.https://www.ebay.com/p/Pair-of-Rear-...d=272519872595
Damn your straightforward logic...
Ordering the pair.

Btw, love your quotes at the bottom. especially the robin Williams one.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by unitoo1
Damn your straightforward logic...
Ordering the pair.

Btw, love your quotes at the bottom. especially the robin Williams one.
When you've done everything else wrong it's logical that the right way is the only thing left. The man was funny and smart. Gallager was another funny guy with quips like "why does 7-11 need door locks when they're open 24 hrs? Why do they call the department that over sees all of the outdoors the Department of the Interior? Plus a lot more of his sometimes crazy logic: Gallagher Quotes and Jokes | SComedy

Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

LOL great site! thanks for that.... here goes another few hours of my life

Old 02-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't know you could save a little buying 2 at a time but was thinking, buy 2 and keep the 1 old one that still works for a spare.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I didn't know you could save a little buying 2 at a time but was thinking, buy 2 and keep the 1 old one that still works for a spare.
ya that sold me a bit. Also since they are stronger than original, someone suggested that I sell the old one now because of these high prices compared to the new aftermarket ones.

Im just hoping that because these new axles are stronger, will they still be the "weak point" in a crash/mistake etc.... I dont want the trans splines to be the next weak point. Because my u-joint broke and half of the yoke that was attached. Any idea where the next weak point will be, seeing as these new axles are cromolly. and not cast iron.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The weak point is the u-joints themselves doesn't matter how strong the shafts are.Keep them greased. Let them wear to far,too long and they will wallow out yokes,then snap when enough torque hits them. You're not the first one to have this happen to as I've had to pull damaged yokes from gear cases when they broke also.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

The weak point is the u-joints themselves doesn't matter how strong the shafts are.Keep them greased. Let them wear to far,too long and they will wallow out yokes,then snap when enough torque hits them. You're not the first one to have this happen to as I've had to pull damaged yokes from gear cases when they broke also.
Thanks again. The parts came, I got them installed and they work great it seems.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Beats paying oem prices..