Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

starter sometimes engages and sometimes just spins

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter sometimes engages and sometimes just spins

A while ago I replaced piston and stater in my Trail Boss 250 along with a woodruff key. Ever since then my starter sometimes engages and sometimes just freely spins. If it freely spins, all I need to do is to turn the key off and on, and the starter might engage or might free spin again.

When it actually turns the flywheel, the ATV starts and all is well.

no teeth are missing on the flywheel nor on the bendix.
Starter was never pulled, unscrewed, or anything - just the bendix came out.

So I'm thinking:

1) I might have lost a washer or something associated with bendix - but I don't remember any extra parts/pieces
2) The flywheel is not sitting back far enough - the nuts is really tight and the case (with the pull cord) goes on properly and completely - I would assume if the flywheel was not seated properly, the case would not bolt on correctly either - but maybe the new woodruff key had something to do with this

I would appreciate any suggestions...

Thank you

Vlad

Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Or the bendix spring is worn out. This can cause it to retract back after it engages the flywheel. Frustrating,but if this is the case just replace the starter bendix. If in doubt on the starter itself,replace the starter. You won't have to pull the flywheel to do this,but the bash plate,clutches and backing plate need to be removed to get to the rear starter bracket. Starters or the bendix are cheap. Sometimes best to replace as a set.https://www.dbelectrical.com/starter...v/polaris/250/

Old 02-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

bendix looks and feel fine. However, I do believe it's the starter - so now I need to replace it and might as well replace the bendix. Flywheel came out relatively easily, as I had it out recently while doing the piston.

How difficult is it to get to the back or the starter? Especially removing clutches? Any special tools?

Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by srh11293

How difficult is it to get to the back or the starter? Especially removing clutches? Any special tools?
This has been bantered back and forth for years. You have to remove the bash plate for sure to access the starter. Some have said they can reach the back starter bracket bolt without removing the clutches and wiggle the starter out. Too much time involved for me as I tried that years ago and to a tech time is what it's all about.. IF you have air tools,the drive clutch puller tool,it's a fairly simple job. Even better with a lift but not necessary. It took me less time to remove the clutch cover,clutches and backing plate to get to the starter bracket than to fight that last bolt. You can even have the atv on its tail end if it helps. Plus you have to pull the recoil housing again as there are two starter mounting bolts at the bottom. At least you don't have to pull the flywheel as the starter and bendix pulls out from the back. Have the bendix inside the starter, new starter gasket,use some good sealant also to mount it to the engine,hold it in place and you can install the two bolts below the flywheel. then you can install the bracket at the rear and button things back up. Several videos on starter removal/replacement on youtube including this one that shows the bracket.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Ordered it. Should get it in a couple of days then will install it. I do have air tools, but not drive clutch puller - by I believe it's not that hard to make (based on a video I just watched).

Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can make your own or buy one for less than 20 bucks. Either way.

Attached Images