Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1999 Xpress 300 4x2- Transmission had a bad day

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Xpress 300 4x2- Transmission had a bad day

So, I finally get this quad back together after I have allowed it to sit and heal (wire fell out of the coil, has been corrected now) for about... a year and a half. Nothing much. Took it out for a ride after I do that. Well, after initially beginning the trip with the fuel selector switched to off, 45 minutes of
put-putting around the property had me satisfied that it wasn’t about to go and die, I then started actually getting into the swing of things again and feeling out everything. All was well. Until I threw the drive chain. Right before I was going to make the final turn to put it up. Ouch. Well, okay, just a chain, nothing too bad- aaaaaand it’s leaking transmission oil, okay, its bad. How bad? Well... it did this:
It snapped the drive sprocket in half, bent the welded on skid peice that is on top of the rear swinging section for the suspension, oh, and punched a hole in my transmission. The chain section at the top that looks wet and disappears, is actually slightly inside the transmission. So, yeah. Engine is okay (hope to god), but I need a new chain (this one was worn out anyway, BEFORE it came in two and punched a hole in my transmission case), a new sprocket, and if I am the lucky, only a new transmission case. So, uh... fun! I am going to start on attempting to get this transmission out and get it apart, and see what the state of the internals are. If all is well, I hope to be able to just put all this in a new case and it work. I’m a large amount short on cash currently (about... ehhh... $30 budget right now, but that’s slated to increase as things free up). Considering the amount of use I have put into this thing, even if the internals are unscathed by what happened.. a rebuild will probably be necessary. Any tips and advice for getting this thing out (without any of the special tools, that is. I have popped out the clutch mounted to the engine output before, but I will need a valid method to get the driven clutch out).

Old 02-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You're not the first one to do this,plenty of others before you and others still to come.. Clutches,backing plate have to come off,along with air box. Remove the linkage arms,gear case bolts and slide it out from the left side or up through the top of the frame. Look for a used case half for your model on ebay. On assembly always replace the silent chain. Plus cases may be a little different from machine to machine. Most common area of binding was in the shift shaft holes on the replacement case half. Nothing that a dremel can't make short work of. Just enlarge the holes slightly if necessary and it should shift ok.Make sure it shifts before you throw it back in the frame.