Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Another counterbalance thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another counterbalance thread...

I've got a 99 Scrambler 400 2 stroke that I picked up recently (my first Polaris). Shortly after I got it I noticed the classic "disappearing coolant" after sitting overnight. Did some research and changed the water pump seals. There was some scoring on the counterbalance shaft, but not toooo bad. Put it back together and it was fine for a couple weeks! Consistent with my luck, coolant started disappearing again and showing up in the counterbalance oil. So that brings me to where I am now, do I fix this or sell it? I'm not really looking for a full engine rebuild, I was wondering if I could remove the counterbalancer with the engine still on the quad so I can ship it out to be repaired. How big of a job is it? Doesn't look fun, at all I really like this quad, but if I can't fix this myself for well under $1000, it might just be time to cut my loss and send it down the road. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can do it in the frame but the top motor mount may have to be removed or loosened to allow the water pump case nipple to clear the frame down tube.Then you either need to have the tool to pull the counter balancer or make one as some have. #2870968 puller is hard to find.One place that does rebuild the counter balancers for $125 if you get it out.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-350...ZTx0ok&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails Another counterbalance thread...-_1.jpg