Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here motox26
you may need this

Old 12-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Is that your video "Honda pioneer failure" DGNAZ? I actually saw that a while ago when I was looking into the pioneer and was shocked that it wasn't making it over those fairly easy grades. I've seen videos of pioneers attempting much worse and spinning the tires just fine. Seems to be geared low enough to go where ever you would want. I haven't seen many axle issues with the pioneer. I'm sure there isn't a type of atv or ute out there that hasn't broke an axle but it's always less common on a honda. Axle problems certainly are understandable though. The engine makes so much HP that the axles have to be made a weak link to avoid transmission or differential failures.

You can't compare the handful of non common issues with the pioneer to the countless number of ongoing issues coming from Polaris machines in general. Especially since Polaris shows little effort to correct the issues and complaint. Power aside, they just aren't built very good. I'm not saying to buy a pioneer 700 in place of a rzr 1000, after all there is a 60hp difference and a $8- $15k price difference but why not spend the little bit of extra money initially and get a Can Am. Sure, can am has had their own issues but nothing compares to what's experienced from Polaris.
Yes...that's mine.
For one thing, they aren't "easy grades". I discovered quickly when i started dabbling in video that it is very difficult to capture the steepness of a hill, especially from an on-board view. I would have been much better off putting the camera on a tripod off to the side like in the earlier segment. I also did a video earlier called "Hard Rock Pioneer" which was the same rock as the 1st segment in HPF, but with stock tires and it made it up ( barely ). At one point on the climb closest to the camera, you can see the front tires lift briefly. It's that steep.
Whats funny is people try and debunk that video by talking about how they went up <fill in the blank> pass somewhere in CO or WA with 2,3 or 4 people...yet none of those is anywhere near the steepness of whats in these videos...whether it shows or not. Trust me....my Pioneer is typical of the model... I just ask more from it than the average owner. So i disagree about it being low geared enough to go anywhere. Take it down to 2-3K' and its a different story.

Unfortunately, i don't live at 2-3K' feet...nor did i spend the cash on this machine to have it dictate where i could ride just because of the brand on the grill. Any non-Honda SxS would have had no issues with those climbs because their MFG's know why off-road machines have a low range, while Honda has incorrectly determined that they are too good to need one. I made the mistake of trusting Honda not to be stupid enough to do this. Normally, this is a very safe bet, but not in this case.

Like motox26, i was pissed as hell when i discovered this for myself, and i also decided i would not let people be deceived by Honda fan-boys who worship anything Honda and insist that this machine has no problem...when i know for a fact that it does.
Want to see the most pissing moment? Watch "Pioneer altitude sickness" and skip to the second half where it fails to turn over 4 tires in icy snow at just over 9K'. But hey...who buys a SxS to ride in snow?
I've said it before and i'll say it again: I would never buy it again in its current form. Add a low range, and i would never buy anything else.

There are a few Pioneers who have snapped axles. Actually, a surprising number...considering the brand and its output. But we are kinda both making the same point in that it seems like everything breaks the odd axle, so i wouldn't condemn any machine until it started breaking them regularly.

I would never debate that Polaris is the equal of Honda from a durability standpoint. Everyone knows that's not true. But consider that Polaris sells 10..15...maybe even 20 SxS's for every Honda SxS that goes out the door. Then maybe those "countless number of ongoing issues" Polaris has would, judged by Honda's sales figures, become much less common. Something to keep in mind.

Sorry for the rant, but Pioneer abilities are a touchy subject with me...

Old 12-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

UPDATE....

I now have the RZR back. Was told by the dealership they are getting more and more disappointed with Polaris service. My issue isn't just riding damage, it's a safety issue. Their words, not mine.

Oddly enough while there, a guy brought in his newer RZR with a mechanical issue that should no question be under warranty. Well because he put on a aftermarket K&N filter, that voids the warranty and they won't cover it!!!! Unbelievable, the guy shouldn't of told them that he installed another filter, but still come on. That is horrible. His story makes me hate Poolaris even more. I'm sorry, I try to be a "big person", but screw them with that attitude.

The machine is cool, my friends and I will fix it up to our standards, but never another penny or recommendation to Polaris. All the Polaris stickers will come off. And it's not the machine itself I am so mad at, it's their customer service, horrible!

Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by motox26
UPDATE....

I now have the RZR back. Was told by the dealership they are getting more and more disappointed with Polaris service. My issue isn't just riding damage, it's a safety issue. Their words, not mine.

Oddly enough while there, a guy brought in his newer RZR with a mechanical issue that should no question be under warranty. Well because he put on a aftermarket K&N filter, that voids the warranty and they won't cover it!!!! Unbelievable, the guy shouldn't of told them that he installed another filter, but still come on. That is horrible. His story makes me hate Poolaris even more. I'm sorry, I try to be a "big person", but screw them with that attitude.

The machine is cool, my friends and I will fix it up to our standards, but never another penny or recommendation to Polaris. All the Polaris stickers will come off. And it's not the machine itself I am so mad at, it's their customer service, horrible!
Safety issues scare MFG's...so if a dealer is saying that...well, it might get taken care of pretty quickly. My advice is follow my lead...make a video or pics of the problem. Show the world. Odds are there are many out there with the same issue, and maybe they will speak up, and then you have something.

There are 2 ways to look at the K&N thing...
Yes, we know that Polaris will deny a warranty at the drop of a hat. So if i were running one, I'd remove it if possible before taking it in. Same goes for any mod...if possible, just for this reason.

The question is, what was wrong with it? Did it break an axle? Did the tranny grenade? These have nothing to do with an air filter, and Polaris should cover them. I am told the dealer can have a great deal of sway on this area.

The other side is...did it suck dust and ruin the top end? OK...the internet if is full of naysayers deriding K&N because they allegedly pass dirt. I don't know if i believe this or not...but it gives them a window to deny something. This is very ironic, considering Polaris has a strong history of crappy intake designs that suck dust and ruin engines. Intakes being new tech and all

I guess what i am trying to say is that we know that Polaris is a bunch of BS artists when it comes to warranty claims, and right or wrong, you can't give them a window of opportunity. Save the mods until the warranty is up with Polaris.

If it is unrelated to the filter, then i hope the guy in question is rich and takes them to court.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

Oh...i should have ask: What RZR was it? The 570 for sure had a big issue with a crap intake design that ruined engines.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

This is directly from the k&n website.

8. Will using a K&N direct replacement filter void my factory warranty?

It is against federal law in the United States for a manufacturer to require the use of a specific brand of air or oil filter unless it provides a replacement air or oil filter, free of charge, under the terms of the vehicle warranty. For a more thorough discussion of this law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, see our Vehicle Warranty Section of our Air Filter Facts page, and our Letter Regarding Vehicle Warranty and K&N Replacement Filters.

9. Will installing a K&N performance intake system void my factory warranty?

Most K&N air intake systems are warranted for 1,000,000 miles which exceeds the warranty offered on the original factory intake system.

The installation of an air intake system should not void your factory warranty. It is never a bad idea to contact your local dealership and ask them before purchasing the new K&N system whether they will object. If they tell you an air intake system will void your vehicle warranty, please contact us and we will speak with the dealership directly to clear up the misunderstanding. Another idea would be to contact a different dealer who may have a different policy since many dealerships actually sell K&N intake systems.

As an additional level of comfort, we also offer our Consumer Protection Pledge. It takes customer service to an even higher level by giving you confidence that when you buy K&N you get on-going support from a team of professionals who will talk directly to dealerships to resolve any questions that may come up.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

It was a Polaris 900.

It was a motor related issue. I agree the guy should of put the stock filter back in, I would have too, but regardless that is a crap reason to void a warranty. There is no defending this Polaris BS IMO. Don't know why anyone would.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Another interesting thing about the air filter. I bet the dealer sells them.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
This is directly from the k&n website.

8. Will using a K&N direct replacement filter void my factory warranty?

It is against federal law in the United States for a manufacturer to require the use of a specific brand of air or oil filter unless it provides a replacement air or oil filter, free of charge, under the terms of the vehicle warranty.
Thats is certainly interesting. Hopefully Mr. 900 will see this...

moto...I guess I'm like Chris Rock in his old O.J. Simpson skit: I'm not saying Polaris should deny a lot of these claims...but in certain cases, I understand.
Polaris has the worst warranty reputation, and if you Google some RZR videos, it makes it easier to see why. The RZR is clearly the choice of drunken idiots with more money than sense. As usual, the majority have to suffer for the stupidity of a few.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess that's why they call them limited warranties. Its limited to what the dealer wants to fix. They try to blame the owner for everything. I guess the only way to really protect yourself is to keep the machine completely stock and use only stock replacement parts if something breaks or requires routine maintenance such as an air filter or oil filter. I bet if you didn't use Polaris oil or a Polaris oil filter, that would probably void the warranty too. I'll guarantee if there are drivetrain or engine issues and the machine does not have stock tires on it, then that probably voids the warranty as well. One way to avoid the projectiles coming through the floorboads would be to get some aluminum skid plates.

Quick Reply: Unhappy Polaris Customer