Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Voltage Drain?

What is the safe voltage drain at battery on 2012 800 ho rzr? Thanks in advance

Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Current draw-key off. .01 DCA If you find a larger current draw disconnect individual components until you find the source.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT.....I have an new OEM regulator already on unit....I still .11 voltage drain and I unplug new oem regulator the drain goes away...I could have an bad new oem regulator....Do you know the correct way to test regualtor with ohm meter...I did the normal test an both shows the same reading....I put red lead on dc pos. terminal and blk on ac terminal to test readings and do this test on ALL terminal of ac and change leads on pos lead to neg lead an do all ac terminal then trade dc lead to ground and test all ac lead and trade pos lead on ground leg of regulator and test all ac... AND all test reads zero...

Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You might want to have the battery load tested to rule it out first even if it's a new battery.I've had new batteries bad straight out the box,plus a battery can show over 12 volts,but a weak or open cell can cause one not to be able to maintain a charge.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT.....I havent load tested batt..but I will the RZR Charges great 13.7 - 14.1 just has an discharge or voltage draw....

Old 03-14-2016, 02:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Thanks OPT.....I havent load tested batt..but I will the RZR Charges great 13.7 - 14.1 just has an discharge or voltage draw....
Batteries can charge and show great voltage even with a weak or open cell,but may not be able to hold that charge.Load testing just eliminates the battery itself as a problem on it discharging. This can be confused with a voltage drain.If the battery load tests good,connections/grounds are tight but still has a voltage drain,then check into other components that can be causing it.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

OPT do uno if there an circuit breaker between batt and fuse box? I have no power to fuse box....Load test batt and did an leak down test on batt its fine...

Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

20 amp circuit breaker on the harness leading to the fuse box. Should be power on each side of the red wires leading in and out of the sealed pouch. If not,slice the pouch open and check the terminals. May be corroded or blown. Can get these at any auto supply for a few bucks.Item #6 on the break down. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Attached Thumbnails Voltage Drain?-1000936wj9.jpg  
Old 03-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a few Polaris ATV's do this ( not a RZR )....power draw that is. I never figured out the exact reason for the draw, but found that just by turning the ignition key to "off", the draw was still there. The draw went away on these machines when the handlebar "kill" switch was moved to the kill position. Customers thought that was good enough, didn't want to spend the bucks for more troubleshooting.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old is your battery? Any other accessories installed before the replacement of the regulator?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Voltage Drain?