Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

2005 700 efi Missing and ruff/no idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 700 efi Missing and ruff/no idle

Ok this one has me pulling out my hair. I have a 700 efi that will not idle especially when cold after it warm up a little it is not as bad but still cutts out. So I have done Spark plugs, found a broken spark plug wire end. repaired it, set the TPS according to the book, checked all the intakes for leaks with carb clean checked the wiring on the tps it all looks good and the meter is reading right. Checked the tbap well looked at it and the wires all looked good. There is no digital read out so I did the 3 key on off and got the check engine light to blink. I got 45 41 21 61 in that order now I did have the t bap unhooked so that may be the one code now that I am not next to the machine. But still WTF is the intake air temp sensor is that the tbat also? Any help is something. I have not checked the valves but normally that is more of a power and top end then low end.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

As the manual states 80% of efi problems are wiring related. The tbap(map sensor) connector and wiring was the most common problem we had on the efi machines. When code 45 shows up,usually a good sign this is the problem. Sensor connector pins can pull out,wires may look good but can be melted internally. Look at the "sticky" post on 700/800 efi problems in the Polaris expert section as it tells about this and also shows a link to get better harness repair kits than what Polaris offers. Sensors are usually not the problem unless tampered with.https://otbpowersports.com/products/ Look at this one.https://otbpowersports.com/product/t...epair-harness/ Also some codes may be bogus(21) and code "61" just means the end of the code sequence.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

So pulled the tbap plug and pulled on all the wires nothing is loose. Plugged back in and re connected every thing cleared codes and started still the same ( a guy can hope) but now there are no codes how long to get the codes and is there any thing else it could be. I hate throwing parts at something.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just because the codes disappear doesn't mean that's helped anything. I've had plenty of tbap harness/connector problems and no codes were thrown at all.. Erratic idle,back firing,stalling,hard starting,etc are common symptoms with tbap problems. As many as we replaced on the 500/700 and 800 machines,the tbap harness repair kit sounds like it should solve your problem.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just because the codes disappear doesn't mean that's helped anything. I've had plenty of tbap harness/connector problems and no codes were thrown at all.. Erratic idle,back firing,stalling,hard starting,etc are common symptoms with tbap problems. As many as we replaced on the 500/700 and 800 machines,the tbap harness repair kit sounds like it should solve your problem.
Still got issues. I have went by the book and set the tps at 0 open then used the idle screw to adjust to the right voltage. It will not idle at all now so I loosened the tps and adjusted it until it did put it is popping back in to the exhuast. So it sounds I can not feel it in the air tubes. If you rev it a little it will run smoother but still not perfect by any standard.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Scooter's Shop
Still got issues. I have went by the book and set the tps at 0 open then used the idle screw to adjust to the right voltage. It will not idle at all now so I loosened the tps and adjusted it until it did put it is popping back in to the exhuast. So it sounds I can not feel it in the air tubes. If you rev it a little it will run smoother but still not perfect by any standard.
Unless you have the tps harness with the regulator and 9 volt battery you can't set the tps correctly. In fact you can screw it up.You can't just loosen it and set it to where you think it runs better..the two main codes you originally had displayed reference a tbap problem not a problem with the tps sensor or wiring.http://www.manualguru.com/polaris/99...anual/page-131

Old 09-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

Unless you have the tps harness with the regulator and 9 volt battery you can't set the tps correctly. In fact you can screw it up.You can't just loosen it and set it to where you think it runs better..the two main codes you originally had displayed reference a tbap problem not a problem with the tps sensor or wiring.Polaris 9919820 PDF User's Manual Download & Preview - Page 131
I do have the factory test set and the factory Manuel. I replaced the tbap wires. I was just tring to get it to idle is the only reason I moved it was to see if I could. When I did get it to idle I was at .800 volts so I adjusted the idle screw to the recommended. 710 now it will start and idle and accelerate but it have a popping in the exhuast.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Unless you have the tps harness with the regulator and 9 volt battery you can't set the tps correctly. In fact you can screw it up.You can't just loosen it and set it to where you think it runs better..the two main codes you originally had displayed reference a tbap problem not a problem with the tps sensor or wiring.Polaris 9919820 PDF User's Manual Download & Preview - Page 131
I dod have the factory test set and idle adjust tool. I set it to the factory. And it will not idle at all. So that is why I tried to adjust it while running to get it to run. Doing this I got it to idle but the voltage was .800 so I adjusted the idle screw to make it .710 and now it is not to bad idle but has a popping. I did replace the tbap wireing harness. And a spark plug wire that was broken with no help. I am leaning toward a valve at this point. That is the next step if they want to go any further.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you've done all this correctly and still have problems,this is where the Digital Wrench software can help narrow down the problem. If you work at an independent shop and don't have this software,machines like this can be a nightmare at times. I can't remember how many independent shops that had taken on efi machines for repair ended up bringing them in to us have them hooked up for diagnostics. Sounds like that may be an option you might consider.The service manuals can only help so much.