Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

Second battery? 2016 Rzr 570

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second battery? 2016 Rzr 570

Purchased new 7 months ago, base model 2016 Rzr 570.
Started fine a week ago, rode to town and back, about 4 miles at 25-35mph.
Today she turned over a few times and the battery conked out.
Jumped started and fired right up, voltmeter indicated 14.1v so its charging.
My shop isn't heated yet and the temps have been between 0 and 18 but the other ATV's started fine including one which hadn't been started for a couple months.
I guess I could have a bad battery but looking at how small the battery is and thinking how much juice the winch I'm adding will draw and the small light bar I'm wondering if the tiny battery is up to the task. There seems to be plenty of room for a second battery hooked in parallel but would that kill the alternator?

Old 12-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Charge the battery up fully and load test it.May just be the battery itself has a shorted cell. Found plenty of thos over the years and some bad right out of the box.Here's good post on this.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html

Old 12-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Just a thought here, you mentioned light bar and a winch...if your using the winch a lot or without the engine running while operating the winch that will really draw your battery down quick. Another is the light bar, if that is used a lot perhaps your battery has never had the chance to get caught up to a full charge. Once these batteries drop below about 50-60% full charge they will never come back and the life is really short. Sounds like you might just have a bad battery, however, if your using it hard with the accessories you have, you might have killed it.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Just a thought here, you mentioned light bar and a winch...if your using the winch a lot or without the engine running while operating the winch that will really draw your battery down quick. Another is the light bar, if that is used a lot perhaps your battery has never had the chance to get caught up to a full charge. Once these batteries drop below about 50-60% full charge they will never come back and the life is really short. Sounds like you might just have a bad battery, however, if your using it hard with the accessories you have, you might have killed it.
I don't have those accessories yet. Future planning.
I charged the battery but haven't had a chance to load test yet.