Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

2014 Ranger 800 ECM test?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Ranger 800 ECM test?

A guy brought in a 2014 Ranger 800 Crew that is dead in the water. Apparently, the 12V died in it and they attempted to jump start it with the power supply side of a portable welder/generator... Threw a new 12V in and once hooked up, the fan runs continuously unless the fan relay is removed. No lights, dash lights, or anything else power up when keyed on. If battery is left connected, even while keyed off, after a while I started to hear some random clicking and buzzing. Sounded like fuel pump randomly turned on. When the key is turned to crank position, the starter does spin but the armature doesn't move to engage with the flywheel. Just spins freely. Checked all fuses under the front cover as well as relays.

I strongly suspect the ECM and/or regulator were damaged but wanted to save myself some diagnostic time and ask if anyone has a test procedure. Also, it looks like there is a fusible link in the wiring diagram but I cannot find it in the harness. I know I should be able to see power in and power out of the ECM to verify whether it is bad so that's where I'll start but any additional suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Probably toast, but this: happened to my 05 Dodge Ram. Ran battery flat over weekend. Monday, tried to start, so put battery charger on the battery without disconnecting the battery cable, like owners manual said. Let it charge for a few minutes, then put it on 200 amp start mode and it started right up. Drove it 10 miles and it died. Dealer said I fried the ECM. OK, so I tow it to the dealer. Next morning dealer says nothing wrong wit it, come and get it. Apparently sometimes a computer will come back from a "shock". Give it a while, disconnect battery and charge, then try in a day or so.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply! I'm fairly certain as well that the ECM is toast but I'm not one to throw parts at a problem without making sure first. This ECM only has one plug on it so without the pin-out diagram, I don't know where to start checking for power output. If anyone knows what pins to check on the ECM I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

FYI - It is the 56 pin ECM. Has 8 large pins and 48 skinny pins.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you melted the fusible link you wouldn't have power anywhere. Agree that you've probably burnt up the brain or ecu as it's called,but rather than throwing parts at it,have it placed on Digital Wrench. It can tell you pretty quick what's wrong for usually 1 hr shop fee. You might get lucky and check the fuse block area first.Item #9.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ranger 800 ECM test?-index.png  
Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually found out that a 2014 RZR 800S that I also have in my shop shares the same ECM part # but obviously different programming. I hooked up the known good ECM to the Ranger and it keyed on, cranked, and fired right up! The dash/speedo lights still won't come on and the 20amp light fuse blows anytime I try to switch lights on. The 800S would not crank or start with the Ranger ECM connected so I'm feeling pretty confident that the ECM is the principle issue. Seems there will be some other lighting issues to trace out once the new ECM is programmed and installed.

I already picked up the ECM from RMATV but couldn't get it programmed today since the local Polaris dealer was closed. Curious what they'll charge me to program it and if they'll need me to bring up the whole vehicle. I know that's the case on most cars/trucks since they flash them through the OBD2 port. Hoping Polaris has a bench flash harness for the ECM... anyone know?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes you need the machine in to program a new ecm. We just had the program on a lap top along with the connecting cables. Just put in the machines vin # and it sets it up in stages, then tells you to crank it up and finalizes settings. Hook up port if I remember correctly is under the hood or under the dash. Can't remember where they put them all as they changed over the years. Programing should be able to trace down any other area that needs to be addressed also. We normally charged and hr labor on programming,but this all depends on what they have to do and check for also.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply! So sounds like I've gotta trailer the Ranger up to the dealer to get it programmed?

Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Unless things have changed since I retired.. A new ecu has to receive and send input from the tps, t-bap sensors among several other things so it can "catch up" so to speak to the condition of the engine,sensors and other components.Digital Wrench sets it up to your particular vehicle and the ecu learns from the input and adjusts fuel to the injectors,etc on what it's learned. Similar to a lot of autos that run crappy for a while when you change the battery. The existing ecu has to relearn and adjust.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

have a2012 ranger hd 800 .no power to injectors , have ohm wiring will run if its givin fuel , who can test the ecm ? everything ive found says to install on known runnin unit. cannt seem to fine one . central tx