ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   how to clean a carb (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/102626-how-clean-carb.html)

Viper25 06-04-2003 01:00 PM

how to clean a carb

How do you clean a carb and what do you use to clean it? Also how do you get it off the engine?

Bubba297 06-04-2003 01:28 PM

how to clean a carb

What machine and year? Is it a 4-stroke or 2-stroke?

Viper25 06-05-2003 07:58 PM

how to clean a carb

It's a 99 explorer 400 2-stroke.

Bubba297 06-05-2003 11:51 PM

how to clean a carb

Hey, getting it off the bike is not hard.You will unscrew the carb top, remove it, and set it aside. Remove the choke cable,the gas line, then undo the rubbers on the front and back. Most of the time you can wiggle them out, but you might have to loosen the airbox to get it out. Once the carb is off set it on a clean table (a clean towel or similar works great). If you unscrew anything on the carb count the number of turns out and write it down so you can put them back in the same way. A good spray carb cleaner with compressed air and a blowgun works great. The main jet and pilot jet need to be removed and cleaned. You get to them by pulling the float bowl off. If you remove everything with care most of the time new gaskets will not be needed. Get cleaner in every hole and follow with air. Hope this helps,Bubba

4wheelinfun 06-06-2003 04:24 AM

how to clean a carb

Bubba...... You one smart mothaa. Is there anything ya don't have some knowledge in??? Way to go. Brian [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

gregsims 06-06-2003 11:28 AM

how to clean a carb

Not to take away from what Bubba said, because he is right, but you appear to be somewhat inexperienced. I have a suggestion that will work 90 percent of the time, assuming a good cleaning is all you need.

You can buy an excellent carb cleaner called "Marine Tech Carb Cleaner". You will find it in most boat shops. It is used to clean gummed up boat carbs that have setup for long periods. It has an attachment that will fit right into your fuel line. Start by draing your carb, then close the drain. Remove the fuel line by the fuel filter or anywhere that allows you to get the cleaner into the fuel line heading to the carb. Once the carb is full, you will see cleaner in the vent lines for the carb. Let it sit for an hour or so. Then, pull the choke and crank it up. This will clean your cylinder also. Let it run for a minute, then shut it down. Let it sit for another 30 minutes. Then, drain the crab and turn the fuel back on. This is by far the best way I have seen to clean carb while on the bike and I would reccomend this for beginners. If you carb problem is not mechanical in nature, this should work fine and it will not swell your gaskets or o-rings.

Read the instructions on the can for safety reasons.

Have you ever tried this stuff Bubba??? It is better that Yamalibe Carb cleaner in my opinion. I bought a CR 125 that would not run for 5 years and the carb was gummed up. I used this Marine tech the day I bought it and after two hours of soaking, it fired right up and idled. My riding lawn mower got to the point it took 60-90 seconds to fire even with the choke on. I used this Marine Tech stuff and now it fires on the first rev. This stuff cost $10 a bottle but it is money well spent. Both of these carbs were cleaned on the machines.

BTW - I am not dead, just don't visit this site much anymore.

Bubba297 06-06-2003 01:20 PM

how to clean a carb

I knew I havent seen a posting from you in awhile. I think for a beginner that would be great. It is kind of hard to explain without showing someone how to do something like that. I personally like to visually look at every aspect of the things that need repaired, so it's no big deal. But the forums are nice for good info, and you gave some more. Bubba

Viper25 06-07-2003 10:22 PM

how to clean a carb

Thanks so much for the information. I will try using that marine carb cleaner. I will tell you how it works out. Thanks.