Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new problem sportsman feels like it stuck in low

Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new problem sportsman feels like it stuck in low

96 sportsman 400
last night on my way back from a ride it felt like my awd was on. i get up to about 30 and its like im in low. feels fine up to 30 so i jacked it up and found awd works fine and wasnt engaged. I shift into low and it da*n near did a wheelie went into high and it felt like low 2, higher than the low gear for sure but not right.

fresh trans fluid polaris brand. 100 miles on motor rebuild. worked fine until last night. new belt with build all greased up.shift linkage looked good but connector to trans from high gear linkage looks mucked. can someone point me in the right direction. thank you for your time. sandstone1

Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know if I helped on your pm,but will let some others take a crack at it too. Concentrated on the shift linkage and box,but others may read your post differently and give you other suggestions? OPT

Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. did this just happen going down the trail or when you were stopped and you put the transmission in high from say low? it does sound like it would be a linkage issue for sure. if it's low it would be reving the engine alot higher at 30 mph and from the start and don't believe it would be swithed from high to low while your moving. does it grind when going in and out of all gears? try going from high to low and reverse w/ the bike is off and watch to make sure the linkage is working correctly. start from there and report what is going on.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default update problem figured out solution??

shifter is fine tranny is fine belt is sticking to clutch kick clutch cover it works fine took off housing belt wont slip upwards stays low so clutch cant pull in 100 miles on belt should i lube the cluth plate?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by sandstone1
shifter is fine tranny is fine belt is sticking to clutch kick clutch cover it works fine took off housing belt wont slip upwards stays low so clutch cant pull in 100 miles on belt should i lube the cluth plate?
Hard to understand exactly what you're talking about! Understanding the transmission is fine but the problem lies in the clutches.Is it the front (drive clutch) or rear(driven clutch)?? If the front or rear clutch is sticking(worn plain bearings, worn buttons causing the front clutch to stick against the counter weights and not releasing fully?) OR is it a rear clutch problem? Plus no lube on the clutches! OPT

Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I take off the belt the clutch is is fine (driven clutch) I belt doesn't want to ride up on it. I didn't fell any grooves and the belt looks good

Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the rear clutch doesn't open and close allowing the belt to move up and down you could have worn ramp buttons,helix spring broken,helix damaged or a combination of all three. Look on your model under "driven clutch" and will show the breakdown.Browse Place a straight edge over the top of the clutches,pull down on the middle of the belt,you shouldn't have more than 1 1/2" slack. If you have more slack than this, the belt may need to be replaced.
OPT

Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default solution??

Buttons are shot. Picking up tomorrow. Alot of metal dust in clutch cover. Secondary was packed full of it too. Lots of small stress cracks all over secondary. Probably replace that next week. This thing was on its way to the scrap yard when I got. I've put so much time into it what's one more problem. Thank you guys for your time. Hopefully I can help someone who is stuck on here. Good thing for tools and heated garages.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Metal dust is from the helix grinding on the inner clutch sheath. Have had that happen many times when the ramp buttons weren't just worn,but melted down and destroyed. In turn a lot of clutches ended up being big paper weights when the ramp buttons screws and button slots and helixes were destroyed along with the inner clutch sheaths. Glad you found the problem,hopefully you can salvage the clutch. OPT