Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone have MBRP on their Predator??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have MBRP on their Predator??

I was just curious how you like the pipe as far as power and sound? I currently have an HMF and love the power...but my racing district is gonna put the kabash on me and not let me race. Even with the quiet core, Modquad had me at 100db at idle. I'm kinda mad at HMF for lying to me...92db my @$$. Anyway, back to the subject, I was looking at teh MBRP as a replacement as they claim 94db at 3000rpm...which is perfect, and the curve still looks really good. I also thought about getting the headpipe just for nice looks, even though it prob. doesn't add much power. Anyone have any experienc with the MBRP pipe? Or anyone have a use for an HMF pipe...great power, used less than 5 times...comes with jetting, spark arrestor, and quiet core...just a little on the not so quiet side though...pm if you're interested!

Old 09-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Um Pud. guess what, even my W/B pure polaris silencer is 98-100 dB at idle too.............

this is WITHOUT the snorkle quiet core insert on the W/B, and running 7 or 8 disks (what it came with.)

Even pulled the whole inner core perf pipe out to check the packing, but its still tight and fresh after 50-60 hours on it.

I put the quiet core in, and that lasted only about 3-5 minutes on a test ride.............WAY choked up and no way you could call it a "performance quad" with it installed.........just wouldn't pull at all, and this was with the clamp on K&N.........

The HMF is LOUD, I could feel the exhaust pulses in my chest following a raptor 20-30 foot back of him on a trail ride.

A trick we use on the Oregon Dunes, and what may help with your HMF, is fab up a 90 degree down turn pipe so the exhaust is pointed straight down at the ground. Get some 2" auto exhaust system pipe, or go to a muffler shop and see how tight a bend radius they can do, 3-4" radius should work for you.

Good luck pud.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I belive modquad gets 97-98 @ 4000rpm with quiet core in, and his machine still has a lot of rip and snort to it!! I checked on some of the MBRP posts, and the numbers they give for a stock machine are dead on with what I've been tested at...so if they are using the same tester, same settings, I would have to belive them..and many other riders have testified to the findings. I don't think any size turn down could turn 106 @4000 into 99db...don't really see that happening. I could slap on the W/B, but everyone has that on their pred...I just want to be a little different.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Come on Pudl get the Looney tuned duals!!!! You know you want them!!!!

Old 09-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

pudl, that sucks that HMF is lying about their quiet core. That really suprises me it doesnt perform just like they state. They have seemed very honest in my dealing with them. I knew you were going to have to get the quiet core but I never would have thought it would still be to loud. A turn down tip will make alot of difference directing all the noise to the ground. It should be real easy to do if you have a local shop that can make a new end cap. If you dont know of anyone let me know and I can have one made this week for you if you want to give it a try before you sell. You would just have to pay for the metal and no other costs so it should be pretty inexpensive.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the offer BB! But I will have to pass. I sent HMF an email displaying how displeased I was about the noise I still had with the Q-core. I'm actually thinking about trading off my pred for a YFZ...I know, I'm a traitor for thinking it...but the thing just handles so sweet in the air...and after cracking my frame and having to warranty my head, and the back end still slides too much in the woods racing...I just might try the yami for a year, and if I don't like it I will come back. I guess for my last couple races I will just run with the stock can and lose all my sweet gains just so it's quiet!

Old 09-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you are saying the 450's are real nice. I am starting to hear of some problems, not starting, a-arms, couple bent axles, and a couple that are having a shifting problem so you may want to wait another year or get that honda. I think it is going to be very nice and knowing honda it will not have any big problems at all. You know if Farr is riding it, it has to be a very nice machine.

Old 09-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. The honda may not be huge in the power department, but with a bigger gas tank, and hopefully a little softer seat, it will be a ferocious woods competitor like it's little brother was and still is!

Old 09-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Pudljumpr, You can PM 14MINS. He did all the dyno testing of the MBRP. He has all the dyno and sound level numbers. If my memory is correct it made 1 HP more than WB and was a couple of DB's quieter.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey if you have a db reg try the new W/B E2 this pipe is designed for noise regs and has a great power curve