Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

It's True... It's True... 700 Twin Sportsman!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2000, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to go on a factory tour of the Spirit Lake, Iowa Polaris Victory, ATV, & Watercraft plant on May 31st. Lets just say that there are all kinds of new machines coming out this 2001 for all model lines. Since this is an ATV thread I will only discuss the ATV line.

I talked to the quality control manager of the Victory motorcycle line who used to manage the ATV line. His name is Michael kusche and I explained to him the problem with new Sportsmans overheating. There where also 2 local (my local dealers from the twin cities) Polaris dealer present on the tour. They explained that the temperature sending units where bad from the factory and that they where changing venders to solve this problem. The new vender they purchased from was worse than the last one so they are still working on this issue. Trust me Polaris knows about this problem and they are working very hard to fix it.

The 2000 1/2 Magnums and Sportsmans have an all new aluminum radiator and automotive style cooling fan. A major improvement. The PVT cover is made out of a new plastic and has a larger outlet hose size for increased EBS cooling. There is also a new gas cap no more cheap a$$ cork gasket the new one is a rubber seal that will not kink and spray gas on you going down the trail. That is all the changes that I saw in such a short time.

The Big news is the 700 twin. Yes, It's true. Weather they will put it in to the Magnum I don't know. The other question they would not answer was if the engine was going to be american built or a Fuji engine. BTW General Motors bought Fuji Heavy Industries so I guess you can call the engines American built now.

I did not see a 700 twin in Spirt Lake. Sportsmans and Magnums are made in Roseau. Polaris engines are made in Hudson, Wi. and Osceola, WI.

Both my local dealers told me the 700 twin is coming in 2001.

Look out Honda!

Old 06-04-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Is this 700 twin a 4 stroke thumper or one of there screaming snowmobile engines?

Old 06-04-2000, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

tim
it would have to be a four stroke, if it were a two stroke they would make u sign a liability waver because of the power.lol
Man i just want to know when i can put my order in, if this thing is tuned right it could put out lots of power. i could be a big machine with sports machine power.
i dont think that polaris employee will appreciate u using his name in telling secrets before there is a officiall release by polaris.

Old 06-04-2000, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

4 cycle engine on the twin.

The factory man also said that there is still going to be a 2001 Xplorer 400 with all the same updates as the new Magnums. So two stroke riders give me a Hell Ya!

Old 06-04-2000, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

did the factory man say when they will all be released??? im dying to see a pic and stats of the 2001 sportsman.
i really want to see the faces to thoes rubicon owners who thought that they have the "big one", well surprise surprise.

Old 06-04-2000, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Odin,
''HELL YA''

The Sportsman is allready a tank and weighs to much.Now whats a twin 700cc engine going to do for the Sportsmans weight problem?I'll guess we'll wait and see.===BILL

Old 06-04-2000, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

I have two friends that work for Polaris. I heard a long time ago about the "probability" of a larger engine.
They have not told me much, but I do know it is a twin 4 stroke. It's true size is said to be 680cc's.
Also, The R&D department at Polaris Industries has a DS650 that they are looking at. There is only one reason they would be looking at a DS. Maybe in a few years we will see a true performance quad from them. God knows they have some fast sleds and watercraft.

But, as I always said before. I take all of this with a grain of salt. I am a "believe it when I see it" type a guy.

Old 06-05-2000, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

The Sporsman is a super heavy quad already.
Needs Jenny Craig diet urgently. Then maybe a new motor.

Old 06-05-2000, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Did they say anything else about the 01 Xplorer 400 other than the new PVT belt cover? I'm thinking of buying a Xplorer 400, should I get a 00 model or would it be worth waiting for a 01 model? Did they say anything else about the 01 lineup? Any new models, or any models being discontinued?

99 Scrambler 400 (For Sale)

Old 06-05-2000, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

When you put a powerful engine in a bike what does weight matter.

Quick Reply: It's True... It's True... 700 Twin Sportsman!