Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler "boging" on hills (carb issue?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2000, 03:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt seem to have this problem until after I added a pipe and up-jeted. When the bike was on a slope for a few secs I would not be able to give it more that 1/4 throttle, so I couldnt even move. And no, it wasnt like a running out of gas....it was running really really really rich when on the hill. When it wasnt on a hill it ran mint. I took off that little "one-way" valve on the carb and it seems to be fine now, but im not sure if that was the problem.

On my 400ex when I routed the "float bowl overflow" hose up, it choked rich on hills....I later found out that this line needs to let out fuel when on steep slopes...so maybe the one-way valve on the scrambler was stuck shut?

Has this scrambler richness on hills happened to anyone else?

Check out my name in this months ATV Sport! They talked about my winch on the scrambler in the 4x4 race quad section!

John

Old 06-05-2000, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

My scrambler had a similar problem like that. The engine would rev up like normal and it just wouldn't hardly make it up the ramps onto the back of the truck. The problem was that the clutch buttons broke and the clutch just spun and I could hardly move. I don't know if that is the same case with you or not, but is an idea. I fixed it myself and it only cost me $4.50.

Another idea is if it feels like that something is holding you back, like it just isn't using all of its power, it could be the air flow. Check your filter and make sure that it is clean and take you pilot jet out and see if it is the right size and make sure that it is clean. If you have any questions, e-mail me at ryan_mathies@hotmail.com

Old 06-05-2000, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

My scrambler had a similar problem like that. The engine would rev up like normal and it just wouldn't hardly make it up the ramps onto the back of the truck. The problem was that the clutch buttons broke and the clutch just spun and I could hardly move. I don't know if that is the same case with you or not, but is an idea. I fixed it myself and it only cost me $4.50.

Another idea is if it feels like that something is holding you back, like it just isn't using all of its power, it could be the air flow. Check your filter and make sure that it is clean and take you pilot jet out and see if it is the right size and make sure that it is clean. If you have any questions, e-mail me at ryan_mathies@hotmail.com

Old 06-06-2000, 06:46 AM
Range Rover

Definatly was'nt a clutch issue...Ive had enough machines to know when a motor is getting too much fuel and is choking on it.....

Good to know about the clutch buttons though.