Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Finally Mounted Some Gauges on my 700

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Mounted Some Gauges on my 700

I've been wanting to install a temp and oil pressure gauge on my 700 for a while, but just wasn't sure which ones to use and how I wanted them set up. Here are some pictures of what I decided on. They seem to be working accurately based on the service manual, but how they will hold up on the trail is something to be seen.

Gauges

Old 09-28-2003, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Those look really good man, where'd you purchase them if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

nice set up! what kind of oil press and water temp are you getting after its warmed up? i can see a project coming on soon!!

Old 09-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

Wow!! Great job. Those look really good. Let us know where you got them...

Old 09-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

Below is a link to the mfr's website. I actually bought them at O'reilly's Auto Parts. I paid $29.99 for the triple gauges. I hope that they stand up to the vibrations from the quad. The gauges mount from the bottom with a screw on collar. I actually liked that idea for mounting them in the headlight pod. Very easy and clean. I used a rubber O-ring on each side of the pod in an attempt to provide some shock absorption as well as to prevent water from getting into the pod underneath the gauges. I used some clear silicone around the lights to keep any moisture from getting into the gauge from the hole that the light goes into. I sure hope they will hold up to the rigors of the trail. Besides the gauges, I purchased a 3/4 inch tee, 2 3/4 inch hose barbs, and a 3/4 inch to 1/4 inch bushing (for temp sensor to go into). I used some stainless steel hose clamps to mount the tee to the frame of the quad beneath the strut tower. I first tried mounting it on the vertical frame rail that the coolant reservoir is mounted on, but I thought that the heat from the header would actually heat up the tee and cause a less accurate reading. I used some heat shield wrap to cover the radiator hose so that the water would be close to the same temp when it reaches the sensor as it was when it left the engine. According to the service manual, the fan comes on at 180 degrees +/- 3 degrees. Sitting still, the fan kicks on when the gauge reads 180 degrees. I realize that the fan switch sensor is at the bottom of the radiator and the temp gauge sensor is at the top of the radiator, but with the bike sitting still and no fan blowing, I guess the water should be close to the same temp coming out of the radiator as it is going in. Even if the gauge isn't completely accurate, at least it will let me know what temp the bike runs at normally and if it ever deviates, I can be on the lookout for a problem. According to the service manual, the oil pressure is supposed to be at least 34 lbs and it runs about 40. At operating temp., it runs about 25 lbs. The manual doesn't mention what it should be at idle, but I guess as long as it doesn't drop below 15 lbs or so, it should be okay. I'll post back later to let you all know how well they are holding up.

Gauges

Old 10-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nice job. i was thinking about doing that to. But Fuel and temp and marine gauges.

Old 10-24-2003, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great job !!! Looks really cool I been wanting to do somthing like that myself.

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

looks like a factory fit,awesome job. I'll bring mine right over....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. How long did it take you & what did you cut the pod with? hole saw?

Old 10-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the compliments. Bring it on over and I'll supervise the installation. They seem to be holding up fine so far with about 200 or so miles on them. I don't really know how long it took all together. Most of the time was spent scratching my head and determining where and how I wanted to mount everything. I don't like things to look tacky; so, I spent a good bit of time on the details. A holesaw probably would have worked better, but I used a 1.5" wood bit (those paddle looking things) to drill the holes. As long as they don't fly apart from the constant vibration and rough trails, they should be good to go.