Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hello, Glad to have found this forum. Got a few newbie questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2000, 06:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys/gals. I just bought my first ATV a few days ago. I purchased a 2000 Polaris TrailBlazer, brand new. I have ridden ATV's years ago, mainly my cousins Suzuki 250 Quadracer. Other than that I am a total newbie. Any how a little background on me.
I am 25, I live in the mountains of upstate Pennsylvania (Potter County to be exact). Living where I do, the only places to ride are mountainous, timber covered terrain. The trails here are, at times, very steep and tricky. So this brings me to my question. My TrailBlazer is nice, I really like it so far, but I feel like I need some more low to midrange power, especially when trying to navigate some of these steep inclines and tight turns which lead into immediate steep grades, where this isnt much room for a running start. I am just wondering, what would be an easy way of gaining some extra acceleration from the take off, and maybe a little more mid range oomph? I am very new to 2 Stoke engines, and what mods give you the desired effects. (Gimme a Small Block Ford V-8 and I can have it runnin like a champ ) Please note, I am not looking to build a Banshee burner here, I am well aware that this machine is not built for racing and such. I am just looking to increase the effectiveness of this machine for the terrain I ride on. Besides, I bought this machine to get reaquainted with riding again not raise hell on. Next year the wife gets the TrailBlazer, and I get a Scrambler 400 4x4.
Second, Question. Is it possible to foul the plug before the first tank of gas has been run through the tank? Its no big deal really, I just got the machine, so warranty is in full effect. But yesterday evening I was riding it around, and noticed that I seem to have some low RPM hesitation all the sudden. Better way to describe it is, when idling in neutral if you give it some gas, like revving it, it seems to take a second or 2 to respond to the throttle. I have even had it stall on me when giving the throttle a quick rev. I have done that probably 3 times, and this is with the machine warmed up. I have been told that 2 Strokes will foul plugs very easily. Also, I should note. The dealer told me that in addition to the oil injection system, they mixed 2 stroke oil in with the first tank of gas, to help with break in of the engine. Is this a standard practice? I have looked in the owners manual but didnt really see anything like this in reference to break in. In any case, I am not even through half of that first tank of gas yet.
Anyhow, Enough rambling for now. I'll be a regular here, so I'll be talking to you guys soon. I am really eager in learning more about ATVing. Any good sites you guys can point me too in reference to riding technique and such, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Paul
2000 Polaris TrailBlazer

Old 06-08-2000, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Paul,

I found this site aover a year ago and have found it very valuable.

I know that some of the folks on the site have have added different "kits" to their Trailblazers and have had great results . . . just check down through the postings.

Mixing xtra oil in the gas for the first tank was recommended by my dealer when I got my Xplorer fours years ago.

One recommendation I would make is get yourself a grease gun if you don't have one already. Then become completely familiar with all the grease fittings. I go over mine at least once a month. Once you get used to their locations it should take no time.

Old 06-08-2000, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Paul

Welcome to the wonderful world of ATVing. This is a good forum for information and general b.s. I am not a two stroke expert and have never gotten along with them so I will not venture to explain how to increase your horsepower. There are some guys in here that are very good with two strokes. Look for a post from Mike Chero. He has a website and I am sure you can email him. He will tell you how to get more power out of that machine as he has one for his girlfriend. I do know that the owners manual tells you to mix oil with the gas on the first few tanks. I think it is under the break in period section. The additional oil (injected and mixed) is probably causing the spark plug to foul out. I would run it a few tanks after the break in period and if it still does it, then take it back and have it adjusted. As far as links go, look for post from a guy named Lurch and clink under the website under his signature. He has good links under this site.

Register to vote. Your ability to ride in the future depends on it.

Old 06-08-2000, 10:32 AM
Range Rover

Paul. I don't think you are even fully aware of the power you already have if you are running around with pre-mix still. If you have used more than about 2/3 of a tank you should be okay to start filling up with straight gas. Just make sure you have used some injection oil first. (to make sure the oil pump is working). Sounds like the dealer added a little too much oil. Try filling with fresh straight gas and run it for 10min or so. If it doesn't clear up, throw in a new plug and try it. Your stalling problem may be caused by too low of an idle. If it is just barely staying running turn the idle up a little bit. Don't worry about modifying until it is at least broken in. Most importantly Have FUN!

Old 06-08-2000, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

Get the stage 1 RCR kit for your new ride. Makes a little more noise but I put a 90 degree elbow on mine and cut a few DB's on the sound.

Go to the link section here and find the RCR site.
Also, check out Jack Schultz's web site. I used to be into 4 strokes but now that I have a 2 stroke I'm wondering why I waited so log to get one.

Be sure to carry an extra plug but it's not something I worry about. My Scrambler has gone through mabey 3-4 plugs in 2 years. About the same as a 350X I used to ride so I don't think they are any worse. Get the Clymer manual so you
know where everything is.

Old 06-08-2000, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I Had put a EPI clutch kit on a 99 trailblazer and it made a noticeable difference in lo to mid range mostly, maybe slight top end but hard to check without radar. You would be happy with a clutch kit and it is fairly easy to install and its not any louder. Its up to you on how much you want to spend, I paid around $140.00

2-2000 500 Scrambler
1-2000 400 Scrambler

Old 06-11-2000, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

First, finish breaking it in. Then, with straight gas, check your jetting. Two-strokes are very sensitive to elevation, the higher you go, the less air there is, so you run rich, which makes it run doggy, less power, bad throttle response. Check this by giving it a hard run, then check the plug -quick, it should be tan. If it is black and sooty it is rich and needs to be leaned out with a smaller main jet. If it is white, you are lean and about to meltdown your motor.
The next thing is your clutch weights. I live at 4300 ft and ride mostly above 6000 ft.
Your Polaris dealer will change your clutch weights for you for free if you tell him you are riding at a high elevation. It's like this, you lose power at elevation even if you are jetted right. So the clutch engages too early making it run doggy. Lighter clutch weights let the engine
rev higher before it engages, hence more power to the wheels.
You will see a huge difference if you get it dialed in for your region.

Silly Later, Fourlix
SP500,EXP425,325Magnum, 500AutoCat FOR SALE

Old 06-13-2000, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys thanks for the info. I have since emailed Rick Ritter, and he has asked me to call him. Said he will talk with me about what I want and what I will need to get the desired results. SO hopefully in a month or so, I will have the new improved "NEW" TrailBlazer. LOL. I can't ever leave well enough alone...

Old 06-14-2000, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

What is ricks email adress i can,t get ahold of him even on the phone .

Old 06-14-2000, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer