Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

purchace of new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchace of new ATV

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I work for the forest service and we will be purchasing a new ATV soon here at work and I would like to get some input on what people think. The last ATV I purchased was an 01 SP 500HO that machine worked out very well for us but I know that there are lots of new and improved atv's out so I would like to see if there is a reason to go with another model. The ATV will be used for towing a small trailer with anything from rocks to logs. We will also use it to haul materials and supplies like hand tools, hose, fuel cans, and water. Right now I am leaning toward the SP 600 but am also considering the Rubicon, Foreman ES, SP 400, 500 & 500 ATP, Kodiak 450 Auto 4x4. This ATV may be used in from simple trail riding to severe off road use during wildland fire assignments. One thing it will need to be is easy to use so that who ever uses it they will be able to handle without to much of a problem. Also I need something that will hold up and be reliable. Any suggestions on which machine would best fit the bill?? I know that all have good and bad points but want to make sure that it will be reliable. thanks

Old 10-28-2003, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

Check out the new Artic Cats. They are pretty impressive. I know someone who just bought one. And they are extremely satisfied with it.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

You work for the forest service in the USA right? So why not bye another quad made in the USA. I don't think the Japanese are paying any taxes to keep you employed so I would suggest helping the people who help you.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

The ATP would be right up your alley.....what about something the size or a Ranger or Rhino?

Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

tblazer: yea I know what you are saying, however it is a GOVERMENT contract thus requiering competetive sourcing. So this is why the other brands, and well as like I said I know all have good and bad points just want to get a feel for whats out there.

Rook: We actually are also purchasing a 6x6 to go along with the 4x4, the side/side would be to big for some of the places we get into. thanks

So anyone else??

Old 10-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The SP600 would be a great machine, if you want to ride in comfort. But, if you plan on carring a lot of things and don't always want a trailer to tow, then an ATP 500 would be perfect for you

Old 10-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

"You work for the forest service in the USA right? So why not bye another quad made in the USA. I don't think the Japanese are paying any taxes to keep you employed so I would suggest helping the people who help you. "

you said it tblazerdad!

i'm with you on that one!

-MT

Old 10-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Arctic Cat is an American company. They use mostly Suzuki engines, but the 650 has a Kawasaki engine. Polaris uses many Fuji engines, except for the 600/700 and I believe the 500 Predator. Their mini quads are made in Taiwan.

General Motors, an American company, owns about a fourth of Suzuki, and also a bit of Fuji. Also, another American icon, John Deere, uses Kawasaki motors in many of its products. Things aren't always what they seem. Heck, even Harley Davidson received tremendous help from Porsche in designing the engine for the V-Rod.

Oh, and one other thing. Japanese companies pay loads of taxes in the US and employ tens of thousands of people, possibly hundreds of thousands or more. Also, Japan is one of our biggest and most steadfast supporters in the war on terror, and is contributing more money to the US than any other country except maybe the UK in rebuilding Iraq. They also contributed billions to the first Gulf War.

Besides, I firmly believe that my Chevy Silverado is a much better design due to stiff competition from the Japanese than it would have been in their absence.

Let's cut our Japanese friends a break.

I wouldn't, however, be inclined to buy a French or German ATV if they made one!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

You cut them a break if you want. I prefer to cut Americans a break.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

The 600's an excellent machine and you can load it down like a mule.... and it willl carry you and your load places the ATP won't.

Quick Reply: purchace of new ATV