Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

All quads should have IRS,EFI. Trail Quads should have rear differentials for less trail impact.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2000, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the future. I saw the future in 1970 and built the first 250 yamaha with a reed valve. (It had twin reed valves from a Hodaka with twin pumper carbs connected to the crankcase under the old piston port intake, which was filled with epoxy and accommodated two additional transfer ports) Every Yamaha 2-stroke since 1975 (?) has reed valve induction.
ATV's are way behind in technology, roughly equivalent to dirt bikes circa 1974 (except the plastic is so much better). Cannondale has come along and shaken up the industry, (unless of course the whole thing is a computer generated hoax) Electronic Fuel Injection is on virtually every car and truck we drive and has been for over 10 years.
Independent suspension is a proven racing advantage due to lower unsprung weight and the resulting traction. Consider Porsche, Ferrari, Indy Cars, Vettes, Dune buggies and our venerable but overweight Sportsman. Swing
arms, chains and sprockets are the stuff of bikes
and 1920's Mack Trucks.
The ATV industry is content to sell what they make and throw us a thread of technology
as they see fit.
Rear Differentials, limited slip or full lockers, would do a lot to reduce trail impact(if you don't think this is going to be an enviro-survival issue for ATV's, guess again) and make ATV's much more pavement friendly.
The aftermarket industry loves the ATV industry, because the sport riders know they can't compete, they can't even get in the game without axles, A-arms etc. etc.
As a group we have been content to accept what they have given us, grateful for any shread
of technology, grateful for recycled product lines. We just want to have fun. And so maybe we're not as serious or demanding as race car drivers or professional motocrossers. Maybe we ought to be.
Silly Later, Fourlix

SP500, EXP425, 325Mag, AutoCat500 For Sale

Old 06-17-2000, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

I mean, look how gah-gah everybody is over this "new Honda Rubicon". It has an automatic transmission! that's not like a Polaris! other than that, it is a refined, improved Foreman.
Now I think a Foreman is a good machine, I ride with one, but I don't want one and I don't like the way it handles. But come on what is the big deal? My lawn mower has a hydrostatic transmission, which is what the Rubicon has.
Let's have some real innovation in this sport. Let's see lighter Polarises, wider Yamahas, Hondas with disc brakes and independent
suspension and switchable 4-wheel drive.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission stifled 4-wheeler development for 10 years, but that is over, the technology is there, we can have it--if we ask. Silly Later, Fourlix

You know, we could build something like a Scrambler(for the weight) with a front differential in the rear, using a Magnum gearbox
and Sportsman rear suspension. It wouldn't weigh much more than a scrambler, would have 4x4 plus
independent rear suspension. If there were as many broken Polarises around as there are Polaris
bashers, it could be easy. The point is that this would not be that hard for the factory to do,
they already have the parts.

Old 06-17-2000, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

The Kawasaki Bayou 300 has a rear differential that can be locked/unlocked, so it isn't that difficult to add. You are right, the ATV industry is sooooo slow to innovate. Tire companys are slow, too. Why don't they make steel belted radials? A darned stick went right through my stock Dunlop. That wouldn't happen with a steel belt. Oh, did I mention I want Power Steering??

Old 06-17-2000, 11:48 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Be careful of what you wish for. If you have all the goods on a machine the price goes up and out of some ATVer's reach. The new features mentioned would be nice on a few high priced machines but there is a place for simple (cheap to repair) lower priced quads. I personally cannot aford a $7000 quad. The Sportsman and Rubicon are $7000 to get them out the dealers door. Just a thought.

Old 06-17-2000, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

And who wants rear differtentals not me. You wouldnt get much traction at all. And people dont like front diffs. so why would they like rear ones

Just a thought

Old 06-17-2000, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

He is talking about differentials for the rear of the quad which could be locked/unlocked at will.

In the open or unlocked mode the ATVs will create less berms and damage on the forest trails and not tear up the grass in your back yard.

Old 06-17-2000, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

Some kof these I deas are pretty good, but I almost think that some people are gooing a little to far. I always kinda though part of the sport was getting a little beat up and haveing some fun. not haveing a luxury quad that does every thing for you. If you want that why don't you just go out and buy a car with all the features. Now I have a Sportsman myself and I think that in its self is a cadilac. and with the independent suspension I just think that it would be hard tok make one that would beat something like the Raptor.

Theres my 2 cents
Muddog
97 Sportsman 500

Old 06-17-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

I think Sport quads would be vastly improved with Independent rear suspension. It would have to have a properly calibrated, even adjustable
anti-sway bar. The sport Quads should not use a true differential, just a ring & pinion like a Polaris front "Differential". This way its' locked and lighter, and should include a disc brake.
A lockable differential on the Trail Models,
would enable you to "not tear up the grass" or the trails, make them drivable on pavement, go a long way towards getting them street legal, and still enable you to lock it in for mud, sand or anything else that required it.
ATV's break traction on EVERY turn. A little thing like a lockable differential would help a great deal in the inevitable battle we face
with the environmentalists.
And yes, I think we need cheap entry level
Quads as well, some of them are damn fun. My Son's Trail Boss was a hoot! for just over 3K. We traded it in on the Expedition, a far more serious, and expensive,(5.5K)machine.
Silly Later, Fourlix

SP500,EXP425,325Mag, AutoCat500 For Sale

Old 06-18-2000, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Everyone has been too serious lately, especially me, where is sledder when we need him?
Silly Later, Fourlix

Sp500, 425EXP,325Mag,500AutoCat

How about I trade that Cat for a Honda 400EX and put a IRS on it? I bet I could get it in Dirt Wheels. A Scrambler would be easier, using a Magnum gearbox, But unfortunately, it's just not going to make the point unless it's a Honda or a
Yamaha. How about a Warrior with a Kodiak engine?
I need a shaft drive gearbox to make it work, any
thoughts? Are we getting weird enough?

Old 06-18-2000, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, a Kodiak is only 50 lbs lighter than a
500 Scrambler, and face it, we like Polaris. So imagine a 500 4x4 Scrambler with a Magnum gearbox
shaft drive to a lightweight differential (Locking)with double A arms. The Sportsman gearcase is way too heavy, but the suspension would work just fine.
Now we got a Scrambler with 12" of ground clearance, no chain, IRS, and excuse me but that would be one hell of a trail bike.
SILLY LATER, Fourlix