Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front hub seal replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front hub seal replacement questions

My right front hub has started leaking oil, recently, so I'm looking into replacing it. I did a search on "front hub seal" and found some guys talking about a $4.50 part. When I go to partsland.com, I see the seal listed for about $12. Am I looking at the wrong part? I've been noticing hub fluid running down the inside of the rim and tire. Outer hub is dry, so itabout has to be the inner seal.

Anyone have any tips on replacing these? 20 minute job, for real? I've replaced a CV boot on a 2000 model, so I know I've been into it a little.

Thanks in advance,
SnowDrift

Old 12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The part you want is #3 on the partsland diagram. The seal cost $13. You should also replace the o-ring seal on the cap as well. Those are only $1.75.

They aren't that hard to replace. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.
1. Remove the brake caliper
2. Remove and disassemble the hub
3. Remove the brake rotor. It has loctite on the bolts so you may hav to heat them.
4. Apply heat to the hub seal area. When the hub gets to hot to touch, pry the old seal out. Be careful to to damage the surface. Clean the hub up real good with brake cleaner.
5. Install the new seal with the spring side facing toward the hub casting. The man. says to press it in. But I used a flat piece of steel that was big enough to completely cover the seal and used a hammer to gently pound it in there. Take your time to be sure it goes in straight.
6. Reinstall the brake rotor. The man. says to use NEW polaris bolts with pre-applied loctite. But I used the old ones. I wire brushed them and put some blue loctite on them and torqued them to 18ft-lbs. Haven't had a problem yet.

That is all there is to it.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

I had a similar leak about 2yrs ago on my quad. I simply took it apart and cleaned things up real good. I didn't replace a thing and I have had no problems. This was from advise given to me by a local dealer.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

The pic AWD#6 shows the seal replacement - AWD

It's easy to do. I replaced mine a couple years ago and they haven't leaked a drop since.