ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   00' Scrambler 500 cracked casing (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/12760-00-scrambler-500-cracked-casing.html)

Craig88 06-20-2000 01:25 PM

I just got back from a ride and found that my casing was cracked right at the drive sprocket. I can't believe it, this thing is only a month old. I wasn't even beating on it. The chain never broke and hit the casing. I did go through some mud/water mix, but it wasn't very deep, maybe up to the tire. I brought it to the dealer an he said I could have sucked up a rock with the chain and cracked it that way? I highly doubt it. I think something let go in the tranny. It better be covered under warranty or I will be one sad customer.

Deej 06-20-2000 01:31 PM

Ouch!!

I agree, hope it is covered under warranty.

My vote is shaft drive or nothing, no matter the brand. My riding is trail and utility so I have no use for chains and the tensioning and lubing that come with them. Others like them. Its a preference thing.

Good luck with the dealer.

DJ

mudmachine 06-20-2000 02:15 PM

I keep hearing of people complaining of cracked cases on the newer chain drive models... While at the dealership I noticed that the newer ones have a cast in flange that arches with the sprocket.. My 97 Scrambler does NOT have that piece... But, then again, Ive never had a problem with a cracked case either...
Will the older sidecase (without the flange) fit the newer maincase ?
If not, you might cut/grind/mill that flange down or completely off...
If I buy a new Scrambler 500 2x4.. That will be on my list of IMMEDIATE mods...

94DGblaster 06-20-2000 02:35 PM

mine did it. The case was priced to me for my Trailblazer at 800!!!

If you dealer doesn't cover it, you can put JB weld on it, and it will hold just fine

scrambler1 06-20-2000 10:14 PM

I broke my case on my 00 500 also. Polaris customer service says, I drive the bike to hard. My friend also cracked his case on his 00 400. Drive it like you stole it untill the warranty is up. I waited a month for a new case and so did my friend. Make them extend your warranty for the time that it is in the shop. Not just on the case but the hole bike. Keep an eye on your steering stem bushing also. I have had mine replaced twice. Good luck.

racenut1 06-20-2000 11:07 PM

craig 88. warranty should not be a problem. i just blown my 500 scram up 2 weeks ago. although it was 2 weeks over warranty. the best thing it was still covered under warranty. what i did is call polaris and talk to a service tech. they will have you take it to a polaris dealer.(pick a good dealer!!!!). labor and parts free. they aren't putting stock parts in for me either. wiseco piston bored out 10 over, racing cam shaft, all after market racing parts. good luck shouldn't have a problem

Craig88 06-21-2000 08:43 AM

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that the case actually broke on the side panel beside the sprocket not in front of the sprocket. That is why I'm so confused. I thought these things were bomb proof. I know I didn't hit any rocks or hard objects could it have been a sress crack?

Craig88 06-21-2000 08:46 AM

Was it covered under warranty?

Craig88 06-21-2000 08:47 AM

Do you have a name of the tech you called? How about a # and extension. Thanks Craig

racenut1 06-22-2000 05:54 PM

craig 88. the service tech i spoke to was john. the # to reach him is (612)542-0500. you will have to ask for him. yes, mine was covered 100%. although it was 2 weeks over warranty. make sure you take it to a good polaris dealership that will stick up for you in all means. good luck