ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Predator stalling question (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/149232-predator-stalling-question.html)

BoatGuy 04-12-2004 01:19 PM

Predator stalling question

For any who can help answer....

I have a stock 2004 Predator that I use in AZ. It has recently started to stall right after I finish a drag race. In drag races with friends, I get wide open in 5th gear and then release the throttle at the end of the run, the bike has started to backfire and immediately stall. I go through the gears as fast as possible and I try to drive it as fast and hard as it can go when this happens.

Anyone know why it does this?
Thank you.

04scramblerdude 04-12-2004 01:21 PM

Is it pretty hot where you drag? Cause my fourwheeler sometimes backfires when the engine gets hot

04scramblerdude 04-12-2004 01:23 PM

How do you make your own new topic?

BoatGuy 04-12-2004 01:39 PM

That day was about 78-80 degrees, maybe a little less. It happended everytime I went through the gears really fast and hit top speed in 5th. After hitting full speed and it was time to slow down, I pulled in the clutch, keeping it in, and slowly braked and that is when it would backfire and stall.

trailrider500 04-12-2004 01:55 PM

Originally posted by: 04scramblerdude
How do you make your own new topic?
right under the Navigation bar, you will see logout,home etc, at the end you will see "new topic" thats where you can make your own topic...

Flynbryan 04-12-2004 02:58 PM

During deceleration with no throttle application your using your pilot jet on your carb. If this were very lean it could possibly cause your motor to stall. How old is it? Have you checked your valves recently? This could be the problem as well. Lastly, the simplest thing could be that your idle is too low. But I would check all the above possibilites as well.

BoatGuy 04-12-2004 05:38 PM

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
During deceleration with no throttle application your using your pilot jet on your carb. If this were very lean it could possibly cause your motor to stall. How old is it? Have you checked your valves recently? This could be the problem as well. Lastly, the simplest thing could be that your idle is too low. But I would check all the above possibilites as well.
I have not checked anything on it yet, and I have changed the oil once. The bike is still super clean, as I purchased it at Christmas 2003. I have only used the bike 3 times since January. Probably 30-40 hours total. Thanks for your help so far.

shackattack 04-12-2004 06:20 PM

Buy a yfz.

Bradracer18 04-12-2004 06:30 PM

buy a yfz?? yeah right....stay with the pred

trailrider500 04-12-2004 06:57 PM

Originally posted by: shackattack
Buy a yfz.
I would rather have my engine stall, then have frames crack,a arms etc break! I rather have my engine stall then have it blow up its been on the forums!

Why take a 50cc loss? thats like trading a big block for a small block[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]