ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   any Polaris mechanics out there? elect. problems (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/165224-any-polaris-mechanics-out-there-elect-problems.html)

timurray 07-24-2004 10:10 AM

any Polaris mechanics out there? elect. problems

AWD - won't engage, no light either

speedometer - not working
speedometer - no light

going forward - hit override button - reverse light comes on

reverse - you can go full tilt without hitting override button

I've got to believe these problems are all linked but I have no idea what it would be.

Dealer told me AWD is linked to speedo but I'd rather not leave it for him to "troubleshoot" for hours.

MoosEye 07-24-2004 12:51 PM

I hate electrical problems!

Polaridoo 07-24-2004 01:56 PM

Did these problems just show up from normal use? Or did something else 'strange' happen - like maybe drowning it in a puddle?

The answer will probably help where to go from here.

If you have a manual, I would start looking into how to test different components.

timurray 07-24-2004 10:51 PM

These problems came up after installing a new battery. I had accidentally left off a ground cable and I pull started it for a couple of days to get my work done. Once I got some time to troubleshoot, I saw the gound cable stuck behind the battery. Connected it, it started great. I don't remember if the probably was immediately after this or not.

deanz400 07-24-2004 11:37 PM

id get a scematic and start from there sounds like a possible short or crossed wires ..

700quadman 07-25-2004 01:28 AM

Don't know what's causing these problems but Polaris is easy to troubleshoot. Get a wiring diagram & check that all the wires are pluged into the correct spot on the connector board under the center plastic. Everything is color-coded.

Brushcrusher 07-27-2004 08:18 PM

Seem to remember reading something about a totaly dead battery causing problems like those.
Sorry I don't recall the details.
Try calling a few shops or ask on some more forums.

Polaridoo 07-27-2004 08:54 PM

I think you cooked something. Since I am not familiar with your specific ATV, the first thing I would look for is blown fuse.

timurray 07-27-2004 11:59 PM

I'm betting on a blown speedometer. From the schematic, everything that i see wrong, connects to the speedometer. They're only 2 weeks backordered from Polaris. Must be a common problem.

700quadman 07-28-2004 02:16 AM

OK unplug the speedo & see what happens. Just follow the color-code.