Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drag setup for a mild 400?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drag setup for a mild 400?

With the s-55 weights I feel like it will go over just a bit. I would go with the 10-56 weights or even the 58 gram weights to give it a try. You have porting, so the engine will be a little more forgiving for you. If you are running in a hard load condition, then keep the 55's and see what happens. I think you'll find that the bike will leave out real hard, but might not pull down track as hard as you want. You could also try the stock helix to keep the motor loaded. Ideally, the best thing to do is get the engagement and top RPMs of the motor where you want them, then adjust everything else afterwards. Primary clutch should always be tuned first, then the secondary shift pattern and backshifting next. Takes awhile to get it all ironed out (especially in the old head[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Old 08-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

44-38 helix is for drag racing,i never ran 58g of weights in those quads
it feel a lot lazier on response over 55-56 gr.
the best performance come into a good dialed-in pulley,,load the engine there and hard acceleration will come.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Back in June I ran my 400 4x4 scrammy in a mud race. It was a mud bog type event but was fairly dry. All the quads entered was sport type quads. I think it was 150 or 200 feet long. I had the red/yellow primary with 58 gram weights 40/36 helix, violet spring set at 2-2. It was good out of the hole but about 2/3 to 3/4 down the pit it seemed to lay down. I did win the event so I was happy. This weekend they are having another mud race so i"m going to try it again. I don't know if I'll be any faster but I'm going to try this setup. hpd brown primary spring with s-55 weights with the secondary the same as before. I'm hoping it pulls all the way thru with this setup. I tried the red/yellow with the s-55 weights just trail and field riding and it seemed like it was over revving. The race is only about a 1/2 mile from the house so I just ride the guad down to the event. I watched the race before and it was alot wetter in past years so you never know until you get there how the pit will be.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Bubba. Especially where I can "mod" my motor. I am trying to stay in the stock class because I use this quad for a trail rider also. That is until I buy a Pred. Then its drag mod time for my Sport. I will have to do some work on my jetting also. Right now the plug is on the dark brown side. If I put the 55g weights back in, can I use them for trail riding also? What is the purpose of the 58g weights in the clutch kit I have if the 55's work better? Just curious. Thanks again guys![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 58 weights are aggressive in design. They work good for trail riding because there is less belt slip and the bike moves easier. The downside of going to a heavy weight like that is if you get into a situation like Beltdrive did in the mud, then the primary tries to shift too fast and pulls the rpms down, almost bogging it.A lighter weight makes backshifting easier and is more sensitive to motor torque changes. In my opinion, there is not a better weight for any kind of drag racing than the 10-56's. You can taylor to almost any situation with a spring change. One thing to remember........When going to the 10 series weights, the smaller thick primary clutch bolt washer must be removed and changed to the larger thinner washer. That moves the primary sheave into place for proper engagement and allows the weights to react to inertia correctly. Bubba

Old 08-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Bubba297 when I took off the clutch cover to install the hpd clutch kit. I found out that the owner before me had already put in a hot seat clutch kit. The outer primary washer from hpd that your talking about looks about the same as the washer that was on it from hot seat. Do I need to buy a factory Polaris washer for it with the s-55 weights ?

Old 08-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

i would like to known more about those primary clutch washer,cauze i never put them on the polaris primary,i known the comet clutch use them tough..
it is to get faster weight inertia right?

Old 08-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are going to run the s series weights than a factory clutch washer needs to be put in. Scramblered, the large clutch washer is actually a snowmobile washer and it is used to keep the inertia correct with the 10 series weights since the middle of the weights are heavier. It's hard to explain but it's just the way it is I suppose[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

bubba does hpd include that washer with their clutch kits that come with 10 series weights? i cant remember if they did or not, if so i am using the 10 series washer with the s-55's.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Scrambler123 yes they do include the thick washer with the clutch kit. Thanks Bubba297 looks like I will be headed to my local dealer.

Quick Reply: Drag setup for a mild 400?