Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TLD PREDATOR 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TLD PREDATOR 5th gear

I read those numbers in ATV Action also, who are we to believe???

Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

You cant belive anything anymore I was told today by kand k racing that my yfz only had 7inches of front shock travel

Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MX450RIDER
You cant belive anything anymore I was told today by kand k racing that my yfz only had 7inches of front shock travel
I hear ya on that, way to much conflicting info floating around. Makes it tough to make an informed decision..

Old 12-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for all your imput and i think alot are right about hoe much we use 5th gear i think im still going with TLD PRED and going to jet and pipe it and k& N filter mods for know un less someone has something better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: upssmann
thanks for all your imput and i think alot are right about hoe much we use 5th gear i think im still going with TLD PRED and going to jet and pipe it and k& N filter mods for know un less someone has something better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Try to ride them both, that should tell you which way to go.....

Old 12-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

The one thing I'm going to say is that the TLD doesn't do very well with mods because of the gearing it has, I know there is a cure for that problem but a pipe wont take it to well.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

why wont it take well to mods ??? dosent other quds like the yfz and 450r geared with low mid range gearing and they take to mods im not sure what u mean ???

Old 12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

Geeez...... theres not an issue between 4th and 5th gear on the TLD. It runs out just fine. If you pay attention to most of the threads that say different then you will see most of them are posted by youngsters that either blow smoke outta their asses or by people that dont evan have one. The thing that really gets me are the posts made by somebody that heard something from someone.... or the posts made by someone that may have ridden on one for a few minutes if they were lucky enough to have a dealer that would let them lug it around the parking lot. Yes you all know who you are so stop makin a fool outta yourselves and go pick on your little sisters or brothers again.
As for the gearing that the TLD actually is ( which is posted in my TLD manual ) 1st gear=2.4 for both TLD and Std 2nd gear=1.9 TLD 1.6 Std 3rd gear=1.5 TLD 1.3 Std 4th gear= 1.2 TLD 1.1 Std 5th gear= 0.9 for both TLD and Std Drive ratio= 14/38 final
I've ridden my TLD just over a month now and theres absolutely nothing wrong w/ the spacing between 4th and 5th gear. It feels fine. And yes a pipe will help you greatly along with and airbox mod; and the TLD takes to mods extreamly well...... what are you smokin??????OOOHHH.... thats right... your one of the ones that knows what your talkin about....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info IndyPred, as I suspected pulling 5th gear isn't the problem it's made out to be.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Upssman, I have to agree with Flynbryan on this one. I have had my ’05 TLD for about 3 weeks now, ridden almost everyday and I have been in 5th gear for maybe a total of 30 seconds. It is nice to open it up every now and then but to tell you the truth, you have to be going pretty quick to get it that far up and the trails where I ride don’t have long enough straights to safely get past 3rd. The few times I did run it through the gears, it never had a problem going from 4th to 5th. I bet I could skip 4th gear altogether, going from 3rd to 5th and she would still pull strong but probably not as quick. The point I am trying to make is that the “jump” from 4th to 5th is not as bad as some magazines make it out to be.

Also a word on ATV Action Magazine. Of course I ran out and bought the mag as soon as I bought the quad and I found errors on the first page of the article. I am not sure if they got a “ringer” from Polaris or how they got the gearing numbers for the tranny but they are WAY off. All of those here who are owners of a ’05 Standard or TLD can look in your owner’s manual at the gear ratio and will know what I am talking about. Everyone knows that the 1st and 5th gears are the same for the two but the article said that only the 1st gear was the same. Wrong! I could go on and on about the errors in that article. Point is, the Predator is a great quad no matter which version you get. RAJ will swear by the standard and I happen to like the TLD. You make the choice that is best for you.

Quick Reply: TLD PREDATOR 5th gear