Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TLD PREDATOR 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 01:04 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TLD PREDATOR 5th gear

Yes I like my std. very well...but I have not rode the TLD. So I don't know nothing about it. I posted the gear ratio for some people in the sport quads thread. And they was saying that they changed them all on the TLD, and I told them it was only 2-4. 1 & 5 was the same. I would never say anything bad about the TLD...like I said before, thats what I wanted in the frist place. But i'm happy with what I got.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

P.S Kman01 I did get the 05 cd-rom manual, I will make a copy of it this weekend and let you know...so I can get your address.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

thanks again guys , i kinda thought that the mag stories were a little bashing of the TLD PRED... they sure wernt on the side of poliars on that article in atv action and the speeds on the drag race between the std pred and the TLD were wron they said the std beat the TLD when there numbers showed the TLD faster ?????? lol

Old 12-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

indy pred thanks for your input,,, do you have mods on your TLD pred and if so what are they and how much have you gained and where is it as far as bottom end ,, mid range or top end or did it help up and down everywhere thaks ,,,,,,,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerslider
Originally posted by: jwyles
What is the top speed on a stocker?
Depends on who you ask lol. I believe laws limit the top speed to 75 stock on all quads sold new.
Low 70's is common..
Kewl, I didn't know that it was limited. I always wondered why most of the quads were around that mph. When I get a chance, I am going to see what the top speed on my 800 is. I guess it will depend on the gearing. I was able to get 65 out of my 04 carb 700 when I was on level pavement. It was close to out of gear. I would imagine maybe doing 70 with the 800.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

they said the std beat the TLD when there numbers showed the TLD faster ??????
That was just one of many inconsistencies with that article. After a while, I quit reading it all together and just looked at the pretty pictures. LOL!!!

RAJ - I sent you a private message with all my info for that CD. Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: IndyPred
Geeez...... theres not an issue between 4th and 5th gear on the TLD. It runs out just fine. If you pay attention to most of the threads that say different then you will see most of them are posted by youngsters that either blow smoke outta their asses or by people that dont evan have one. The thing that really gets me are the posts made by somebody that heard something from someone.... or the posts made by someone that may have ridden on one for a few minutes if they were lucky enough to have a dealer that would let them lug it around the parking lot. Yes you all know who you are so stop makin a fool outta yourselves and go pick on your little sisters or brothers again.
As for the gearing that the TLD actually is ( which is posted in my TLD manual ) 1st gear=2.4 for both TLD and Std 2nd gear=1.9 TLD 1.6 Std 3rd gear=1.5 TLD 1.3 Std 4th gear= 1.2 TLD 1.1 Std 5th gear= 0.9 for both TLD and Std Drive ratio= 14/38 final
I've ridden my TLD just over a month now and theres absolutely nothing wrong w/ the spacing between 4th and 5th gear. It feels fine. And yes a pipe will help you greatly along with and airbox mod; and the TLD takes to mods extreamly well...... what are you smokin??????OOOHHH.... thats right... your one of the ones that knows what your talkin about....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just another example of how full of CRAP so many magazines are. I guess Dirtwheels couldn't find enough bad things to write about, so they started making up stuff........ I'd buy a TLD no questions asked if I had the cash........ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Range Rover

The only performance mods I have dont to it is a White brothers E-series pipe w/ 12 disks on it and Hardrocks airbox mod with a K&N. Thats about all I need for now till its rebuild time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. The good thing about a White Brothers pipe is that the disks can be removed or added for low end gain or top end gain. I had the same set-up on the 03 Predator that I totalled last spring and I liked it alot. The 03 was lacking some serious low end in my opinion and this set-up corrected that problem. The 05 TLD obviously doesnt need as much low end touque as the 03 did, so Im gonna have to add some more disks to it later. But for now it is great. If I remember right ; Jason at Hardrock Motorsports said this slip-on with 12 disks and the airbox mod would give me about 5-7hp.You can deffently feel the difference when you install it. If you do any major mods to your motor then they will reccomend a different pipe. Obvously each pipe will react differently to each motor that is set-up differently. They do alot of Dyno work for pipes.... along w/ Rath and Nicholas. I would deffinatly call one of the 3 and tell them what you intend to do with your motor ; if anything, before I purchased any pipe.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

indy pred did u have to re jet the carb after adding pipe and k&n filter or not ??? also would droping a tooth off the back sprocket give the TLD more top end as dirt wheels claimed, and if so dose the bottom or mid range suffer from doing this ?????? thanks again

Old 12-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

Yes you have to rejet after adding an airbox mod or a pipe. Anytime you let more air in or free up the flow out then you should rejet or at minimal just check to make sure your not to lean. If you call any of those places that I stated they will give you a good base line where to start based on your elevation. And dropping a tooth will give you more gain on top end but it will also effect your low end also. Just one tooth on the back sprocket wont effect it to badly IMO. But if I were you and you are planning to get a pipe and airbox mod; I would do that first, and if you still need more top end then I would play w/ the sprocket. But I dont think you will need to after a pipe and airbox mod. It really depends on what type of riding you are planning on doing. You also have to take into consideration that the article that Dirtwheels put out was for a stock..... unmodified TLD. It may have been a whole new can of worms if it had a pipe and airbox mod. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MX450RIDER
I was reading atv action mag and they said that the standard polaris spanks the TLE and the gear ratio on standard were1st2.429 2nd 1.611 3rd 1.286 4th 1.087 5th .920 the TLE 1st 2.357 2nd 1.867 3rd 1.529 4th 1.238 5th .920. Atv action said that the gearing was or felt taller
If you read the chart they have in that article on the 100 yard drag race times the TLE is faster than the standard version. So much for accurate reporting.....

Quick Reply: TLD PREDATOR 5th gear