Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My new Sportsman 400 - 2 Thumbs up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Sportsman 400 - 2 Thumbs up!

Hi folks, Just wanted to pass along my review of my new ’05 400 Sportsman. I was able to get about 3.5 hrs on the machine on Sunday riding through some timber trails about 1.5 hrs northeast of Kansas City. I was riding with my neighbor who has a ’05 AC 400. Here are a few areas I’ll address:

* AWD - GREAT!! Ran most of the day in AWD and the machine kicked in the front wheels when the rear lost traction. My buddy on the 400 AC got stuck because he forgot to put in 4WD on his machine once. Simple mistake but didn’t have to worry about that on my Polaris. (I wanted to see how much slippage the back wheels needed before the front wheels kicked in by spinning on a sheet of ice. So, I put the machine in 2WD &, of course, spun, then stopped & switched to AWD leaned over and watched the front and rear wheels while hitting the accelerator, and the amount of slippage before the front wheels kick in can’t even be seen. The Polaris AWD is GREAT!) Pushing the reverse override when backing up to get AWD isn’t a big deal.
* EBS - The 400 doesn’t come standard with EBS, but I was able to have it added as part of the deal when I purchased the bike. I really like it when going down slopes, adds a lot of control. The EBS doesn’t engage on the front wheels, but it wasn’t a big deal because I was able to feather the brakes slightly if I felt the rear wheels were slipping. The only time it felt uneasy was when I let up on a large sheet of ice at about 20 MPH and the back end started to get a little squirrelly and come around a bit.
* Power - When I was looking at the Sportsman I did ask myself if I should get the 500 HO, but didn’t because I had a budget to stay within and the 400 had all the power I needed when I test drove one at the Dealer. Now that I have put on 3.5 hrs on the machine, the 400 has PLENTY of power, even as I drove it conservatively babying the machine because of the break in period. Didn’t have any problem climbing up hills, over logs, through wash-outs, etc. I’m extremely happy with the performance of the 400 and would recommend it to anyone. The 500 HO will beat the 400 off the line, but if you want to save $700 by buying the 400, you will NOT be disappointed! Especially for the tail riding I do and some work I’ll be using it for.
* Looks - Great looking machine! Really like the front storage compartment for carrying a bow saw for the trail, water, extra gloves, etc. Great addition! (My AC 400 friend really liked the storage compartment also and kept talking how he is going to try and make one for his bike.)
* Lights - It was dark when we returned home and the rear work lights are great for backing off the trailer in the dark.
* Plastic parts - The bumpers & racks are a hard composite plastic. I was wondering how much abuse they would take. Throughout the trail ride I looked at the front bumper and any marks from small brush, etc. was easily rubbed out and didn’t leave any deep scuffs. Many fender areas are “pre-dulled” at the factory in the areas that tend to hit tree branches, brush, etc. This is great because it hides a lot of the scuffs.
* Servicing - When I picked up the machine I was fortunate to have the Polaris mechanic do the orientation. This helped because he showed me all the service areas and answered all my 2 pages of questions I had written down. Plus he did a nice job of explaining the break-in period and the importance of it.
* Overall review - With everything being said, I don’t think there is a better machine for me. I am satisfied with every aspect of this bike. Any concerns I had by not having the 500 HO are no longer concerns, I don't think the extra $700 for the 500 HO would make me $700 happier. For me I am glad I negotiated the EBS. I have plenty of power in high and can cruse at a good speed, put this bike in low and you have a tank! It is also great to have “Park” on the transmission, especially when transporting. The only question I have is the foot brake seems a bit weak. I’ll have to check with the dealership and also see if I can find a post on it in this forum. I give this bike 5 out of 5 stars & two thumbs up!

(If I added my pics correctly to my profile there should be a camera on the left which should take you to a few pics I took on Sunday.)

Old 01-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

Welcome, and glad you like yours. I feel the same about mine. 1600 miles and 2 years and no problems. Except ones that were self imposed!

Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 99farmboy. Congrats on the new quad. You're right, it is a great quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome and congrats on the new quad.

and yes the foot brake is weak, it seams only good for getting out of park.