ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   4 wheel drive donuts (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/189631-4-wheel-drive-donuts.html)

cornfarmer 01-31-2005 05:08 PM

4 wheel drive donuts

DId some riding in the new snow yesterday, always fun. We were riding on the ice on my favorite fishin hole doin donuts and stuff when I decided to try it in 4 wheel drive. I couldn't believe how tight they were, in no time I was flyin around insanely fast. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
One question though, the left side of my front end wants to stay engaged longer when I take it out of 4wd. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
My ride is a 2002 Scrambler 400 if that helps anyone. It has become engaged when it's turned off before, not often and only on the left.

Bing 01-31-2005 05:13 PM

4 wheel drive donuts

this thread made me think of krispy kreme

try a 4x4 donut at 50mph,,,,,now that is fun

try changing your hub fluid to start

do you have a shop manual

Bladebite 02-04-2005 03:54 AM

4 wheel drive donuts

Finally someone else who has found the 4x4 art of being a top! I realized that fun about 4 years ago while ridding my 500 quadrunner Suzuki 4x4. It was on it's last leg and I decided I was just going to be an idiot on the ice and if it blew the engine I didn't care anymore, so I started doing things like coming accross the field at about 45 and hitting the ice while cutting the wheels...Six Flaggs had nothing on that fun !!! Eventually I'd hit the ice sideways and then nail the throttle wide-open...such a good time! Anyway, on one of my runs, and after I finally stopped sliding in circles forever, I decided to just do some wide-open dougnuts, and at first you start spinning weak and wide, but then the front wheels will pull the front end in tight, and next you know you're flat spinning in a high speed circle about the size of your quad, and if you don't force you body to lean into the spin you get spinning so fast that it will eject you from the quad!!!...been there and done that one. Wont do anything to the quad, as it will eventually stop spinning and stay on its wheels, but it ejected me about 20 to 30 yards through the air and busted my elbow when I hit the ice! Reconstructive surgery on that little trip. 1 year later while playing-out in my head what went wrong I figured out that if you simply lean hard into your spin you can rotate about as fast as you want, although it takes some upper body strength to hang on. I then started doing it again regular on my 500 Sportsman, but you will eventually overheat a Sportsman if you do it too long, and I figured out why: The centrifical force of the highspeed rotation is forcing the water away from the water pump, up the radiator hoses and maxing out the radiator and resivoir, leaving the impeller on the pump dry and surrounded by nothing but air, thus causing an overheat and eventual boil-over. Another time(Last year) I was doing it in an area that just had some standing water that had frozen-over, and was really too thin to support the quad and myself, and after I really got cranking in circles the ice started flaking away and eventually one of the rear wheels bit-in and that time me and the quad both launched...I thank God we went in opposite dirrections!!! That time I was knocked-out cold and cracked my 400 dollar snow helment, bent the right rear control arms and wheel, the steering stem and bars, busted the rear rack, and "U" shaped the left tie-rod. Do you think it's stopped me?....NOPE Greefield motorsports has plenty more helments, and you can get lots of cheap relacement parts on Ebay (-: So, this year I'm spinning like a top, and have not broken anything YET.

dontgetbehindme 02-04-2005 04:15 AM

4 wheel drive donuts

Well I can't beat that, the most I had in what little snow we have, is the time I was doing donuts and slamed a tree. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] No damage to the quad just me.

Bladebite 02-04-2005 05:09 AM

4 wheel drive donuts

Me again. I forgot to reply to your hubs: I've had three units do that exact thing to me over the years. The first time it was on a 99 Scrambler. The next time was on my 2000 Sportsman(which I still have) The next time was on my Remington Sportsman( Which was stolen from me, and I hope it grabbed while the person was doing 45 to 50 !) Anyway, to start, if you stop your quad after turning off the AWD and place it in reverse, push the override button in and nail the gas enough to spin the rear tires a second, this will free the hubs everytime and you'll be good to go, even though you shouldn't have to do that! Anyway, my first experience with the sticking hub was, as I said, on my old Scrambler. The fluid is not the culpret, as it did that to me it's first time with about two tanks of it's first gas ran throught it. It never was anything more than a periotic pain in the butt on my Scrambler, and one that two different motorsport shops just could not answer, so my resolve was blipping the gas in reverse, which I'm still not sure exactly how I figured that one out, but one day I did.
Anyway, the next machine was not so forgiving to a single locked hub, and the first time it did it was at the worst possible time: I was on my 2000 Sportsman riding on top of a steep levy. I had just came up the one side with AWD locked in due to the grade. I rode the crest of the levy for about 100 yards and was about to turn left down the other side, so I turned off the AWD as not needing it any longer. The left hub didn't disengage, and since I was turning left and that wheel was on the pivot, I wasn't able to feel it pulling. As I started down the steep grade and the weight of the quad and myself was naturally thrown foward on the front wheels, the left front wheel dug-in with the EBS grab and ripped the bars right out of my hands, sending me and 750 pounds of quad balled-up and tumbling down the hill, nearly breaking my back when the Sportsman landed on me at the bottom. I walked around for a couple of months eating Vicodin( Don't you hate it when that happens ! I don't. In fact, I started looking for large oak trees to slamb into ! HaHa) So I was angry, because now what's obviously a design flaw just about took me out. It shouldn't matter if you had Karo Syrup in your hubs, they should not be designed in such a way that one is able to do something totally different from the other. You see, if both failed to disengage, at least they would still pull evenly, with possitive, or with negative torque. If electronic control of a steering componet is able to fail, FOR WHATEVER THE REASON, then obviously there is a design flaw, and people like polaris, again, need to stop showing-off with the bells and whistles, and refine some basics so that people are not going to get killed by something so stupid. If they can come-up with altitude sensing injection, then surely they can find a non-sticking hub design! But then, that's not exaclty something to bragg about in advertising the sale of a product now, is it? So, throw that on the rear burner (if it even makes it on the stove ) and lets go-on about the newest whistle and get some of these puppies sold. If consumer Joe breaks his neck in the wash, well, sorry Joe.
My missing Remington did it to me also (even after changing the fluids regular) but only a couple of times over the course of about six months. After calling Polaris and unloading on them about it, the fella on the phone said that it's been reported several times and they are working on it...Yo, stupid, think maybe a recall would be in order? That was exactly the way I worded it to him, and gave up. Anyway, watch turning into the hub before going down a hill, as you may not feel it dragging until it bites you. Hope this helps

dontgetbehindme 02-04-2005 05:45 AM

4 wheel drive donuts

When the dealer sold me my 02 Sporstman 500 Ho they warned about the hubs engauging and the steering wheel would pull and/or feel a vibration, and how to stop and back up to disengaguge them. I figured it was a normal design of the quad. Mine has done it a few times,I guess they have spent so much time bragging on the awd they figured 1 flaw isn't so bad. I have to say I love the AWD on Polaris's it works the best in a sticky situations. Just have to watch the hub engaugment.

got2gofast 02-04-2005 08:40 AM

4 wheel drive donuts

Hey,
Last winter I discovered the excitement of 4-wheel Drive Donuts as well. I was using our Sportsman 500. It is just insane, you spin so fast its crazy. I took the video camer with me and pointed it straight ahead and recorded. Its so funny to watch the tape because all you can here is the four wheeler and tires on the ice getting louder and louder and the trees are flying by faster and faster.
It was all fun until My buddies were watching and I was doing it, faster and faster and faster, almost a blur, and then the force of my body pulling back on the bars must have been too much, the front of the sportsman came straight up in the air (while spinning 100 MPH!) and I got launched and the Sportsman ended up on its side, spinning circles. I didn't get hurt, just a little surprised!
Have fun with the Donuts, But don't cross that line between fun and disaster. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

silverbullet2005 02-04-2005 10:15 AM

4 wheel drive donuts

sounds fun! but when it comes to taking a 730LB. quad out on the ice I end up with a fear of going through. It wouldn't be that bad if you know the water below the ice isn't very deep.

tmorris1 02-04-2005 10:54 AM

4 wheel drive donuts

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
sounds fun! but when it comes to taking a 730LB. quad out on the ice I end up with a fear of going through. It wouldn't be that bad if you know the water below the ice isn't very deep.
Around here with 2 1/2 feet of ice and 5000 pound pickups on the ice, I'm not too worried about my 700lbs quad.

tyler711 02-04-2005 05:15 PM

4 wheel drive donuts

Yeah, the first year we had our camp, we were all sitting there, wondering if the ice was safe enough to drive a quad on. Just then, a chevy 2500 drove by, made us laugh real hard. After drilling a hole, we realized we had well over 2 feet of ice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. Looking at tablis like this one, ice is pretty strong. 7.5 inches can hold 2 tons, a passenger car.