Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HOT HEAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT HEAD

i just got back today from waynoka, ok riding the sand dunes since thursday of last week... what an awesome place in spite of my running probs.... tell me what yall think of this.
i got my carb back from ritter monday after having him bore it out for me, did some plug chop tests for jetting and settled on a 210 jet giving the plug just the right shade and on w.o.t. the quad is in a happy groove, unloaded the quad thursday evening to go out for the first time and the bike ran great climbed up on the biggest dune and shut it off to watch every one else, and when i tried to start it, it goes full rich, you have to shut off the fuel switch and pin the throttle and after 2-4 minutes of this it slowly revs up on the pipe and clears it self, after that turn the gas back on and go roost it up.... it only will do this after it builds some pretty good cylinder temps... i rode it around camp from the shower house and back several time and if the jug doesnt heat up it will start right away.. i thought maybe something was wrong in the needle and seat area and tried shutting off the fuel switch b4 i shut off the quad thinking that it might be overfueling and flooding, no help.. experimented with needle placement up and down, no help..... i dont know, any help, did i make a mistake having the carb bored at rcr?????

thanks
james

Old 03-21-2005, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default HOT HEAD

Sounds like dirt in carb,,,,,,,Float stuck?

My stock 400 '03 Trailblazer has a 240 main jet with the needle raised all the way. Came that way from Polaris.....

Now running a 42 mm flat slide with 390 main and no porting and V-Force reeds and it runs great.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Range Rover
Default HOT HEAD

if the float was stuck or dirt in the carb wouldnt that cause an overfueling sit.? and by shutting off the fuel supply switch stop that prob.... i dont think your jetting will help me at all, im a 250 trailblazer not a 400.

thanks
james

Old 03-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOT HEAD

Jamag, we were out there from thursday night till yesterday. Wish we both would have known because I could have helped out. Sounds like maybe a float level problem. Think about it, if the float is a little high then heat would tend to push the fuel into the cylinder. Even shutting the fuel off at the petcock wouldnt do much good because as the fuel was pushed out you still have all the gas in the lines to go into the carb. That's where I would start.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Range Rover
Default HOT HEAD

REALLY, WE GOT THERE THURSDAY NIGHT AND LEFT SUNDAY MORNING, WE LEFT ABOUT 2 PM AND GOT OUT THERE ABOUT 10 PM. WHERE WERE YOU STAYING? WE STAYED RIGHT BEHIND THE BUGGY SHOP ON THE HILL AT THE SOUTH CAMPGROUND, I SAW A COUPLE OF TRUCKS WITH ARK PLATES I PROB. RODE PAST YA A TIME OR TWO....

ANYWAY, I THOUGHT I WAS REALLY CAREFUL WHEN I REASSEM. THE CARB AFTER GETTING IT BACK FROM RITTER, MAYBE NOT THOUGH CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO CORRECT THIS PROB AND ADJ THE FLOAT?

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT I LOVE THIS FORUM WHEN IT COMES TO NEEDING HELP YOU GUYS ARE GREAT, BTW BUBBA ILL BE CALLING YA AROUND THE FIRST OF THE MONTH TO SEE IF I CAN GET YOU TO HELP WITH THE CYLINDER... AFTER THIS WEEKEND IT OPENED MY EYES, I GOT TO HAVE MORE POWER!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Range Rover
Default HOT HEAD

bump, where are ya bubba?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOT HEAD

did u use sand tires? (jw)

and it sounds like its just too rich because as the engine gets hotter its prob flooding itself...did u do ur testing wen it was warm?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Range Rover
Default HOT HEAD

YES I HAVE A FULL SET OF SAND TIRES, AND YEA I TESTED IT WHEN IT WAS WARM, THAT IS THE ONLY TIME THAT IT STARTS JACKING UP SO I THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO TRY TO FIGURE IT OUT.....

THANKS
JAMES

Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default HOT HEAD

Ya'll were within eyesight of us. We got there about 12:30 am thursday night ( I mean friday morning[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).We were parked on the flat hill to the south of the old Oasis. That was the only non reserved spots left when we got there. I almost could have thrown a rock and hit you I bet. Crazy huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Range Rover
Default HOT HEAD

yeah, i know just where you were at, we were pretty easy to spot we had all but 2 sites on the hill, with around 60 -75 guys we kinda spread out, man the next time i go im gonna post on here so that doesnt happen again..... too bad, i would have really liked to meet ya and say hey!!! you prob didnt notice but i was on the only t.b. (yellow and white) with dual hella's mounted on the bars.... anyway, correct me if im wrong about setting the float level on my carb, turn the carb upside down and the arm should hang even with the bowl flange? if not do i adjust (bend) the float arm or bend the tab that the needle hangs from????

Quick Reply: HOT HEAD