Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800sp vs. (don't shoot - arctic-cat 650LE

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800sp vs. (don't shoot - arctic-cat 650LE

Originally posted by: Got2ride
Thanks for all of your reply's - I am going to the dealers today and ride the 800 and the 650 - like everyone says' enough with the data - time to put the money down and ride!
why are you not considering the 700EFI? it gets EXCELLENT MPG. i've read in many posts that the 800EFI is very thirsty. i would not consider the 700 carb, i owned one, and it was the alsolute worst MPG ATV i ever owned.

i think the AC650 vs the SP700EFI would be a smart choice IF fuel economy is a real importance to you.

however, if you can afford a cabin in upstate NY - (Osceola), then i'm quite sure you can afford a few extra bucks for gas! LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

Were there any Brutes there? From what I've read they would be the first to overheat due to clogged rads.

Personally I have never overheated but I don't play in mud all day. Our riding on the Tug Hill is 50% logging roads, 25% mud and 25% technical woods trails.

I would agree the higher the better for deep soupy mud.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Stumppuller1
Well I have been really shopping around lately, found some bad news I didn't want to hear. We had a rally on the weekend, so there were tones of ATV's, it was about 220 miles, so it was a good one. I didn't get to go but my buddy was telling me that out of our group there were 4 polaris's and 3 overheated, guys were saying because of the sloppy mud, and the LOW rads on the Sportsman's, they were overheating and were having to stop. Polaris was the only machines overheating. I can kind of see why also, why are the rads so low to the ground. I've seen it first hand with a buddie's 500 HO, it was sad, we had to keep stopping to let the bike cool, tried to clean it by hand but wouldn't help.
I do go through swamps, so now I'm a little upset as I really want the 800 but don't want to be laughed at when it overheats. I've seen grizzly's and Honda's go through the same spots and never overheat as there rads are high up. I've seen one CAT 650 overheat but it was due to days of mud riding and buildup.
Can anyone comment on this, I even noticed on Hightlifter's Website they have a set up where you can put the rad on the racks to stop this, looks really dumb though.
Will the 800 overheat even though it has a bigger rad and hose set up, from what I hear.
Thanks

Unfortunately it IS true about the Sportsmans getting clogged up. I witnessed this couple weekends ago on my buddy's 05 500ho. Just what you said happened to him. I went through some worse stuff then him with my 800 and did not have any issues. I may look into that kit you are speaking of. I will say this much, if you want to cruise, the 800 is great for fuel. If you get on it, it will suck the fuel. However I have no regrets having it. If you crave power like I do, then get the 800. Otherwise go for the 700EFI or 500HO. Even better, try to hold off for a little while and get the 500EFI IF and when it comes out. That will be your best bet In my opinion. Now if you want to be the one laughing at everyone else moaning and groaning because their backs and ***** hurt from the rough riding, stick with Sportsman.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I will soon own both machines and will give you the lowdown. So far, my AC 650 has been flawless.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I think Got2ride made his choice, look at his sig.

DanW, you are buying ANOTHER quad!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes...team I did make my decission - but just ask my bloody wife - I debated and debated. Both machines are very very good. I just thought that when it boiled down to the pull start, clearance, gas tank, and 2nd year engine warranty - I just could not beat the deal. Besides I am going to mount the $69.00 second winch in the rear ala MV7.

My buddy however did purchase the 800. So we both will have the benefit of riding two excellent machines.

I can't thank this group enough for the great advice!! It really helped!!

Scott

Old 05-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
I think Got2ride made his choice, look at his sig.

DanW, you are buying ANOTHER quad!!!!!!
Yes, sort of. My brother-in-law goes on a big ride with me 3-4 times a year. He doesn't like my 375 because it is a bit tippy and requires more body english to compensate. He decided to purchase the 800 and keep it at my place. He knows I take great care of my machines and wants me to take care of this one. In return, I get to use it anytime I want. On the last trip, he rode someone else's Bombardier. It was not well cared-for, so he fought a grumpy engine (fouled plugs, old gas, long-time storage with no TLC). It made for a terrible trip. That is why I suggested a machine with EFI, and the wide track on the Polaris makes it feel more stable. We picked it up today and rode it around the yard. He loves it and it is VERY impressive on first impression. Seat of the pants says its quicker than the AC, but we'll see for sure when we get on the trails. I am going to be interested to see how fuel economy works out. I know this...I have found nothing that has the range of my AC. It will go forever and a day on a tank of gas.

He paid 8200 out the door with a winch which will be installed in a week or so. I thought it was a good deal. Especially with the sweet alloy rims that come with it. The tires look like they will be great, too. Again, we'll see how she does. I can't wait.