Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800sp vs. (don't shoot - arctic-cat 650LE

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800sp vs. (don't shoot - arctic-cat 650LE

Ok Guys don't shoot - I am trying to figure out which machine to go with. I have been following each and every thread - talking to everyone I can - Reading the laster press/reviews and need your advice.

This is what I will be using it for - My wife and I are purchasing a cabin in upstate NY - (Osceola) - and I will using the quad to:

1> Pulling Wood
2> Having fun - off trail path finding - ground clearance key
3> Plowing driveway
4> Fuel Economy - issue - There are not a lot of gas stations nearbye to the homestead.

So here's my thoughts so far.

1> I know the Sportsman legendary reputation - all good. Have never hear a Polaris Owner say anything bad or negative about the box.
2> I am not brand loyal - I have an Arctic Cat 400, Skidoo MXZ 800Rev, Harley, Polaris Touring, Yamaha - etc....
3> I really like to travel over things - through things - you know - its not about the speed - but where I can go with the unit. (AC - 13")
4> The Polaris not having a pull starter is a concern to me - again - remote location.
5> Warranty on the box only 6 months vs. 2 years with the Arctic Cat - remember its a Kawasaki Motor
6> I am trying to buy USA! Personal Issue.
7> Reliability is a must -

So...am I crazy to consider anything but the Polaris - or am I on to something with the Cat???

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Regards....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

i would go with the 800 just because it has EFI, and can do everything you want pretty easily.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

Okay we sell both Artic Cat and Polaris at our dealership.

Polaris--- Artic Cat
More Power-- I assume you were looking at the V2 and not the H1, V2 has good power but not as much as the 800

Rear Wheel EBS-- All wheel EBS Great to have way better than polaris

On Demand system slips 20%-- 2x4, "Limited Slip" 4x4, locked 4x4 Polaris system easier to use, but for rock crawling artic cat system
before engament (2x4, 4x4)

Single Lever brakes--- Split F&R and a WORKING FOOT BRAKE

Price: Alot--- Also Alot but you get it decked out with the LE model

Three headlights--- Two

Great Storage --- Bad storage

Great Suspension --- Equally as good/ a little more ground clearence

Feels comfortable --- Feels bigger than the 800

Great easy plow system --- Dont know yet never put one on

Great pulling capability --- Also great but the tires on the Polaris are better

Really its a toss up the Artic cat has a great Kawi motor in it, the only problem is you might not see them using htat motor in the next few years. I like the braking system way better on the Cat, but the EFI is really nice top have, plus the storage on the 800 is great. I hope this helped

Old 05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the comparisent,
What about Gas milesage, I know the CAT has a huge tank but does it suck it down faster too.
What about the belt drive, I know the Kawi/Cat's have to have springs and other things to the clutch not to blow belts. Does the 800 have a better and STRONGER belt drive.
What about the Rads, I know that this weekend 3 out of the 4 polaris's in our group over heated as they had mud on the rad, due to sloppy mud riding, does the 800 have a better cooling system.
I'm getting close to trading for a 800 and want to make sure I'm making the right decision, want ROCK TOUGH like my traxter.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

If you get the 800 beware, the aluminum wheels have a problem sealing to the tire, tires are soft and puncture easy (in rock and heavily wooded areas), the storage compartments are not water tight (half full of water every time I ride), had problems with low beam light leakage, and floor boards getting caught on trees and breaking in tight trails, does not have good gas milage when riding hard.

Wouldn't trade it for any other bike in the world, but would buy a Scrambler as a secondary. The power is amazing, the suspension is awesome (caddy smooth), the seat is very soft and extends down to support your knees (big plus compared to other atvs), almost no ride fatigue.

To me price was not as much as an issue, but warranties are. I had to pay 8700 w/ tax for the bike and 350 for an additional 18 months of warranty.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

I would go with the AC H1, it sounds like it would fit your style more, The H1 is an AC motor with the duramatic tranny. I to am trying to decide between the SP or H1, and like you, speed is not an issue. But I am going to wait for the 06's that will be unvaled in june. I am considering three machines the SP 800 the AC H1 and the Bomb 800 which is supposed to be out in june. Polaris makes me a little nervous with everything I see on all the boards, overheating, no pull start, 4x4 engaging when it is not suppose to, small gas tank, I also hear of plastic melting on the new machines, I think the stock tires on all machines are marginal, I do not like that polaris has not gotten rid of the clunking noises. Don't get me wrong I am not anti Polaris, these are just issues I know of being out there with them, they are still on my list, but are dropping fast out of the running, it all depends on the 06 models coming out.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

polaris has a Sportsman 500 HO EFI comeing out for 06, if you can wait till august to find out whats coming out, i think that'd be your best bet. if pull starting is a problem, get a sportsman 700 carb, and put the pull start on it from the MV. but because the 700 dosnt have a compression valve, its gonna be a b!tch to start by the rope

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well they all have their "issues". The ac 650 v-2 is a nice machine, but is definitly a lot diffrerent to ride. And changing the oil on the v-2
is no easy task. They are both bery nice machines though. If your going to wait for the '06's, then why not wait for the '07's... and so on...
JUST GO RIDE THEM ALL!!! Then make up your mind. You'll never have the newest or the Baddest, "cause these things are getting bigger and badder every year. So if your really serious about getting one, than go test ride them all and see which one is best for YOU. You know what they say opinions are like... everyone has one.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spyder6
polaris has a Sportsman 500 HO EFI comeing out for 06, if you can wait till august to find out whats coming out, i think that'd be your best bet. if pull starting is a problem, get a sportsman 700 carb, and put the pull start on it from the MV. but because the 700 dosnt have a compression valve, its gonna be a b!tch to start by the rope
I agree with Spyder6. If gas mileage is even a little consideration, get the 500HO. It'll do everything you want; it'll do it all well, and get WAY better mileage than the big-bores.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

i was wishing i got the 800 EFI, but I got a '05 700 EFI and if I had to choose again, I would go with the 700 again...why? gas mileage...

Quick Reply: 800sp vs. (don't shoot - arctic-cat 650LE