Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A question for Ruby owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I know this is the Polaris forum but this my home and by the posts Ruby riders look in. I rode with 2 Ruby owners a couple of weeks ago on the Paiute Trail. We know they have front wheel braking when going down a incline, but both riders complained that thier machines pulled hard to one side or the other when decinding a steep grade. Sort of like a hub hanging up. It was enough to wear out the female rider. Is this normal for this set up or was it a fluke. They would like to know so they can have something done if its not normal. Thanks, and this is not a bash.

Old 10-10-2000, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

I am not a ruby owner, but I have ridden my brother in-Law's rancher. And I noticed that it would pull to one side on the front end. I would say it is normal since the 4wd is holding you back in the front and the diff is being used to grip for traction. It is kind hard to steer but the downhill descent is very controllable.

Old 10-10-2000, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

I own a Rubicon, but I look here as my wife has a TrailBoss. By front-wheel braking, are you really talking about the front brakes, or that all 4 wheels are using engine braking when descending hills? Mine will pretty much bring the bike to a complete stop (or close to it), and I rarely have to use the brakes coming down a hill. However, I have never had it pull to one side or the other. I think you may be right, that they have a drum that's hanging....

Old 10-10-2000, 11:35 AM
Bis
Trailblazer

I haven't noticed any pulling either, of course, I have to give it gas in order to go down hills. Come to think of it, I don't think I've used my brakes yet!

Old 10-10-2000, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

I was talking about engine braking sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-10-2000, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

I live and ride in an valley with extreme inclines so half of my ridding is done up and down hills, as everyone has said thus far they dont need too use the brakes because of the excellent engine braking on the Rubicon. (When in low gear goin down a steep incline my Rubicon only hits 3MPH so I have too give it gas too go faster, I love engine braking!) Mine does not lean towards the left or right and I am not sure why theres would.

-RubicoN

Old 10-10-2000, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

ChopperBill, thanks for clarifying, i was just fixin to tell them to check the drums. As far as the enigne braking pulling to one side I have not experienced anything of that nature.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2000, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

No problem here either, but I hate going down hills!

Old 10-11-2000, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

The engine braking on my Rubie is nothing short of great, it's true you have to hit the gas to speed up, you never even think of hitting the brakes. I mentioned this in one of the posts on the Honda fourms. As far as the bike pulling to one side or the other, yes on occation on a off- camber hill or comming of an off-camber bank onto a hill. This is caused by the front diff. grabbing for traction. It's an easy cure, hit the gas a bit and it will decrease the grab to the one side and even it up.

Old 10-11-2000, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Ok I tell them about hitting the gas when this happens and hopefully that is all it is. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: A question for Ruby owners