Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris dirt bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris dirt bikes!

I just dont want Polaris trying to run KTM like they run their Quad division.. Ignoring problems, Poor customer service and lackluster dealers.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I bet Polaris wont get into the dirtbike market. A company of their size could have a long time ago if they wanted to. I see this as Polaris' way to get them stronger more reliable race quads. Maybe even KTM being their hardcore race quads while Polaris' name stays utility and sport utility. Could the Peddy become a KTM model or maybe go bye-bye?? I could see that happening.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Demon- we had fun on that project- learned alot! I passed the compliment on to Daryl ..just when I thought we were getting close to retirement he knows he picked up another fan[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think hes still got a few good years in him on the track[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ktmguy70-very well said

KTM is about Performance, Quality, top notch components. They are about Racer support, winning races, world Championships. Machines that run the paris to Dakar Rally and Win time after time. Durability, bulletproof..

KTM is a full blood race company- being married to a competitive racer/rider I can appreciate those ideals in a company.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I could see polairs using a ktm motor in a lighter race quad.....

Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I........ think my............back...............just went...............out..................lifting that..................500cc lead.............,I mean engine........................brick............... .........back into a Predator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. It be time to lighten up that chunky monkey!!!!! Dear KTM, please send one of those slick powerplants, please.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

ktmguy70 covered all my thoughts on this. Nice job. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I dont know anything about polaris quads but I do love my 400 EXC. It's my first racing thumper and my first ktm.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I think this is great> polaris should use those ktm Motors and make better then the pred race quad. I would also like to see polaris make a endoro dirt bike.
Also the other way, KTM making quads using polaris stuff.
All who cry about this ,should wait to see what happens before making complaints.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Fixitmatt
I think this is great> polaris should use those ktm Motors and make better then the pred race quad. I would also like to see polaris make a endoro dirt bike.
Also the other way, KTM making quads using polaris stuff.
All who cry about this ,should wait to see what happens before making complaints.

First of all Polaris offers nothing to Put a KTM motor In. So In theory, I would say that KTM has already Produced their quad, Or has it on the drawing board.
I would say the Only Part Polaris is going to play in this is to be an outlett. Polaris has Many Dealerships, and it would be the perfect place to Get your Quads out there if you were new to the market.
However, its no secret that , while I feel Polaris Makes a decent product now days, They have, without a doubt, The worst dealer network and customer support in the industry. What I fear, Is that KTM will market a quad through existing Polaris dealers, Many of which dont know their own POLARIS products well enough, from My experience in three different states, and End up leaving a sour taste in someones mouth who Buys a KTM quad and then gets less than stellar support from their dealer.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Just got this off of Thumpertalk.com

July 19, 2005

To: KTM North America Dealers

Re: KTM / Polaris Strategic Partnership Agreement
It’s no secret that KTM has announced and is working toward entry in the high-performance sport
ATV market. With similar engine platforms, racing enthusiasts as customers and shared off-road
riding circuits, the sport ATV market is a natural progression for KTM and the perfect arena to
continue to execute KTM’s Ready To Race business philosophy.

Today, we are excited to announce the formation of a global strategic partnership between KTM and
Polaris Industries Inc. As part of our partnership, Polaris is purchasing a 24-percent minority interest
in KTM for approximately $80 million from an institutional investor at a 12% discount to the market
value. This announcement will not immediately or directly affect any KTM or Polaris dealers, and all
current KTM and Polaris dealer agreements that are in place will remain unchanged.

A KTM-Polaris partnership is a very natural fit, and we expect this alliance to lead both of our
companies to substantial growth. Like KTM, Polaris is a 50-year old company that was started by
three men with an incredible entrepreneurial spirit. Also like KTM, Polaris has gone through financial
troubles, near-bankruptcy, a buyout and, for the last 23 years, a significant period of strong growth.
Today, Polaris is a $1.8 billion manufacturer of all-terrain vehicles, RANGER utility vehicles, Victory
motorcycles and snowmobiles.

Both companies will continue to operate separately, but will partner on several projects. Polaris and
KTM’s largest shareholder, Cross Industries AG, whose principal shareholders are KTM CEO Stefan
Pierer and KTM CFO Rudolph Knünz, have entered into option agreements for 2007. These
arrangements could result in Cross Industries purchasing Polaris’ interest in KTM, or alternatively,
Polaris may become the majority shareholder of KTM, in which case the majority of the purchase
price would be settled in Polaris shares and Cross (Pierer and Knünz) would become a main
shareholder of the combined Polaris/KTM Group.

At this time, there are no plans to have each company sell its products through the other company’s
existing dealer network; however, as this partnership progresses, our alliance may offer opportunities
for you. KTM and Polaris are complimentary businesses - not competitors - which makes our
partnership particularly exciting. It means there is potential for dealers who are interested in building
a stronger, more robust business to potentially incorporate Polaris products into their stores.

The overall benefits to a KTM dealer resulting from this strategic partnership include:
• The ability to work with larger, stronger, more competitive global OEM companies
• An opportunity to expand your product offering and reduce seasonality with innovative new
products
• Access to a broader customer base

The strategic partnership we’re entering presents both of our companies with many exciting
opportunities, such as:

• New product development – the exchange of technologies and capabilities will result in
better and more innovative products for both companies.
• Engineering – our engineering teams can work together to identify new market opportunities
and create products that address market segments currently underserved.
• Engines and Technology – both companies can share information on and benefit from each
other’s portfolio of engines and available technology.
• Distribution – KTM is strong in Europe, and Polaris is strong in North America; together we
expect to find efficiencies and best practices through each other’s distribution channels.
• Brands – our brands and products compliment each other. Polaris is the leading American
powersports brand and KTM is the leading European powersports brand. Together we will
leverage each other’s brand awareness to grow our business around the world.

Your RSM is fully briefed on this partnership, and we would ask you to contact him with any questions
you might have. In the mean time, we want you to have clear answers on four very basic questions
regarding the partnership:

Why a Polaris-KTM partnership?

After careful consideration and years of building personal relationships with the Polaris management
team, we are convinced they are excellent strategic partners for KTM, and our two companies can
benefit greatly from our alliance. Polaris has grown in many ways like KTM has, and we believe our
two cultures, product lines, and brands are extremely compatible and complimentary.

Why Now?

Now is a good time for our companies to form a strategic partnership. KTM has publicly announced
our entry into the ATV business. Polaris’ international growth over the last few years has been
outstanding. Polaris is looking for a European manufacturing facility and ways to help further
accelerate its international growth. At the same time KTM management is implementing global
strategies for minimizing the negative affects of foreign exchange fluctuations.

Why is the Partnership structured this way?

We have watched many companies, including powersports companies, struggle through and fail at
attempted acquisitions in the past. We have chosen to take a unique approach in creating a
partnership that keeps both companies separate, but strengthens each in various ways. Both parties
support this arrangement, and we want to make sure it works before taking any next steps.

Why will it take two years to decide if the partnership is right?

The management group at KTM is proud of the company it has worked hard to build and is
determined to find the right long term partner for continued growth in the powersports industry. Both
parties see this as a positive, exciting opportunity, and we want to move forward through a gradual
process that blends the best of each company’s cultures and shared “passion for the ride.” As part of
the partnership, KTM’s Managing Director Stefan Pierer is expected to be nominated for a seat on
Polaris’ board of directors, and Tom Tiller, Polaris’ CEO, is expected to be nominated for a seat of the
KTM supervisory board.

This announcement is the start of a very important partnership for both KTM and Polaris. We hope
you share our excitement as we explore all the possibilities and opportunities it has to offer. If you
have any questions or concerns about this news, please contact your RSM.

Thank you,
Rod Bush
President

Old 07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Well that explains everything.
As for bad dealerships,NOT HERE!!
my dealer has been great and I have had no problem with warrenty work.As a matter of fact my dealer has gone out of it's way to help me improve my Predator.
Thank you ATLANTIC POLARIS of Brick N.J.

Quick Reply: Polaris dirt bikes!