Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Has anyone compared a Rhino to a Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone compared a Rhino to a Ranger?

I am interested in a Side by Side, mostly for fun and some work. Has anyone ridden both a Ranger and a Rhino? Which is more stable? Which is more fun? Which is more reliable? Anything along these lines will help me decide. I would be looking at the 700cc EFI 4 wheel drive vs. the Rhino.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

The Rhino may be a little sportier but is is MUCH smaller and has half the cargo capacity and haul/tow limits.

Not even close for work but just to sport around on the trails it would be great.

Jim

Old 09-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

I have experience with both. If you want it for working the Polaris Ranger is better.

If you want a trail riding fun machine the Rhino is far better.

The Rhino handles better in the woods and it is not as tall or as wide as the Ranger. It will go places the Ranger will not.

They are both tough machines and they quality is there on both so it all depends on what you want it for.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

For a lot of fun at a MUCH lower price check out the
"Hammerhead"
go to Cick Here for info on Hammerhead

The engine is weak, but it's a very nimble and fun machine. I have tested one and may be buying one this week. For more info on these carts and bigger ones go to Click here
They have a forum too.

You can't do any work with this machine though. Just intersting to look at what's out there though.

Have a nice day.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

The rhino is sportier but smaller. You can put 3 people in a ranger and 2 in the rhino. Tow capacity of the rhino is 1212lbs, ranger is 1500lbs. cargo capacity of the rhino is 400lbs, ranger is 1000lbs. They are both good machines, but if you want to work one the ranger is made for it.
This last weekend we put my ranger to the test. We had a sportsman 500, the ranger, a honda 450es, and a bombardier 400. We put 3 people, 20 gallons of gas, 2 tents, 6 sleeping bags, 2 coolers, chainsaw, cook stove, and various other camping items in the back of the ranger. I let my father in law take the ranger with all the stuff so we on our quads could play. We took them through some pretty rough areas in Michigans U.P. and only had to winch the ranger once. He got it buried on a pretty steep sand hill about 10 feet from the top. I was actually suprised it went as far up as it did with the stock tires on it. It made it through some mud holes we had to pull the honda through. I work my ranger hard and it has given me no problems in the 3 years I have had it. After last weekend I would have trouble buying any other brand.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have no experience with the Rhino, but have had some seat time on the Ranger. For a farm or strictly utility vehicle, I feel the Ranger would be a fine unit. IMO, I would consider the Ranger a 2 occupant unit, unless their would be 3 somewhat small in stature people on board. No way is the Ranger gonna keep up with atv's on a trail....I would estimate the top speed to be 25mph or so and gets to be a handfull to maintain at that speed as well. Power is typical for an automatic, high rpm's and slow acceleration. Again, this is a utility vehicle. Would love to check out a Rhino, it seems everyones reviews consider it a work and play side by side (with a ton more performance potential).
Gary

Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

I have no experience with the Rhino, but have had some seat time on the Ranger. For a farm or strictly utility vehicle, I feel the Ranger would be a fine unit. IMO, I would consider the Ranger a 2 occupant unit, unless their would be 3 somewhat small in stature people on board. No way is the Ranger gonna keep up with atv's on a trail....I would estimate the top speed to be 25mph or so and gets to be a handfull to maintain at that speed as well. Power is typical for an automatic, high rpm's and slow acceleration. Again, this is a utility vehicle. Would love to check out a Rhino, it seems everyones reviews consider it a work and play side by side (with a ton more performance potential).
Well I would say you need more seat time. As for keeping up with a quad on a trail you are correct, it wont it doesnt handle like a quad. As for speed you are mistaken, with all we had loaded, 1 adult, and my 2 sons in the ranger I had a gps reading of 40mph and it handled just fine on hard packed trails at this speed. Heck my father in law and never driven it before and thought handling was no problem.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the new 05 rangers are a SEROIUS improvement over the previous models, if you want a ranger, buy a 05 or 06

Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

I went on a ride with both at the same time. Both went good in the mud but the rhino broke a rear axle. He said it was his second one to break. He had mud tires (not oversize). This may be fixed in newer models. The rhino seem like it would be more fun on trails, the ranger is alittle big for my like.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Magna nice pictures.
A Tom with a bow is a MAJOR feat, congrats!
I dont think i would even attempt it unless i had unlinmited time to hunt and seen lots of birds.
It would also have to be from my Ameristep pop up blind for cover.

Jim

Quick Reply: Has anyone compared a Rhino to a Ranger?