Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New 4X4 Hawkeye to arrive next week.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4X4 Hawkeye to arrive next week.

Very nice pic of the Hawkeye. Have you had her out on the trail? Would really like to know
more about the Hawkeye before I buy a Eiger.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

I am taking out this weekend so I will let you know. I took it up a few smaller hills last weekend and it did great. Its smaller size gives you the feeling of more control vs. the big bores. I have more pics I will get up tonight.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

Here are some more pics.... I am 6' 200lbs for size reference

Hawkeye Pic1

Hawkeye Pic2

Hawkeye Pic3

Hawkeye Pic4

Old 11-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

I just wanted to give a ride review on the Hawkeye. I rode at two different locations over the weekend. Ill start with the bad which was Friday. I took it up to my fathers property which is at 6000 feet about 50 degrees. I got it up there and it started right up so I thought all was good. I got it warmed up and hit the trails. After about 30 minutes of riding I decided to try it out on what I would call a beginner to medium sized hill. I thought - no problem. After about 3/4 the way up, the pucker factor kicked in and I thought I wasnt going to make it. I stayed with it and it limped over the top at about 3 mph. It was obvious that the altitude and jetting wasnt meshing. I rode it a few more hours that day. Under moderate climbing and wide open throttle it would sputter and run like crap. I was sure dissapointed and I still didnt know what the Hawk was capable of. I thought I might have made a bad decision on the Hawk, until yesterday.

I got up Saturday morning and got a new sparkplug for the Hawk and decided to give another chance. I took it out to some trails around my house, elevation about 2000 feet. This time the hawk didnt let me down. It was obvious within the first five minutes that is was a totally different machine. This thing just kept climbing and climbing. I went up some serious inclines with rocks and manuevering and it performed like a champ. I really had total confidence that this thing was going to tackle everything that I could throw at it. I did a few more technical riverbed/rock climbs and it handled them with ease. When climbing the real steep stuff, I just kept the throttle pinned and it would stay revved and climb at a good steady speed - no bogging. I really had confidence in it which is what I was looking for. At no time did I ever feel it was suffering without a low gear. The one thing I really noiticed is that with my Rincon 650, I had to be real careful when the wife rode it because if she panicked on a technical trail, a blip of the throttle could send her into a really bad position. With the Hawk it seems to be geared low enough that it has low end power and isnt going to throw a rider who hits the throttle. It builds speed a lot slower than a big bore.

A few other things that I thought I would mention. The handling I thought was decent. I am used to riding a Honda Rincon so compared to the Rincon most things dont handle as nice. I thought the engine brake and brakes worked really well. Several times going downhill I was able to stop it and hold it with ease, mid hill. I need to look into jetting for higher altitudes. It is clearly marked on the Hawk that it is jetted for 0-3000ft. I guess I cant blame it too much for choking it in the thin air.

I never felt it was too small or uncomfortable for me to ride around on. It was fun because I could toss it around in the flats and have fun due to its smaller size. After about ten hours of riding, no problems in the reliability department. If anyone else has any questions or want more pics feel free to PM me. After riding it on Saturday, I am really excited about it and I cant wait to take it out again.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Very good review. We really appreciate all the details. I'm still undecided on what to buy the wife. It's either a Hawkeye or Suzuki Eiger. Kinda leaning towards the Eiger. Thanks again
and good luck and happy trails. Steve

Old 11-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

Cool review! Just one question, when you are pinned and going uphill, does the bike loose lots of speed? I know it doesn't bog down, but woundering if its still loosing momentum...

Old 11-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

No, it isnt losing speed. It stays climbing at a steady speed - most steep hills I climbed I think it was holding steady between 12-15 miles an hour. It picks up speed slower so if you are stopped at the bottom before you start, it just stays geared real low at doesnt really go up super fast. With my Rincon, I can punch it and go way faster than I want from the bottom. I can tell you that you dont ever feel that you are going to slow to a speed where you wont make it up. You can just feel the low end power and it keeps climbing and climbing.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

Have you had it out any more? How is it holding up? I have a 500 SP, but was looking for somthing smaller for my wife, and something I could take out to just throw around when I am just riding with the other guys I ride with on a short run.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

I just had a Dial A Jet installed from the dealer. I am going out again on Monday. I will give you another update after I get back. The throttle seems more and more responsive as it gets broken in. I have about 65 miles on it and 6.5 hours. No problems with it other than the jetting issue at high altitude.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dahui,
I am on the list for the next round at four seasons"! This quad is for my wife. I noticed the same jetting issues as I live up in Pinetop and test rode one is Show Low. The dealer even said to bring it back in within 1 month and they would rejet it for free. But they wouldn't match four seasons price up here. I told them I would give them 5K OTD and they said no thanks"! So Four Seasons deal is fine with me, since I offered them cash in my pocket and Show Low Motor Sports let me walk out the door"! $%^**& them. Let em know how the dial a jet works, as I would do the same as we ride down in the florence area quite a bit.
Unclet

Quick Reply: New 4X4 Hawkeye to arrive next week.