Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New 4X4 Hawkeye to arrive next week.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4X4 Hawkeye to arrive next week.

I just got on the list to pick up the new 06 Hawkeye from the dealer next week. I am really exicted about it because it seems to be the perfect machine for my wife. I will probably like it too, based on the reviews. They say the new Polaris clutch system makes it virtually impossible to slip it and has no lag. For the price I couldnt touch anything comparable that has IRS and Digital Speed/tach/Odo/Fuel. The 4.5 gallon tank is nice too. It just looks tough. Heres what reviewer from ATV Nation said during their test ride with Polaris

The new clutch system that was developed for this ATV was a
pleasant surprise also. There was no noticeable “Belt lag” that you get with the
traditional belt drive machines. Polaris developed a “Tight Belt” system that
works a lot like a chainsaw clutch. When you give it the gas it goes. It is not
overly powerful or snappy from the start. Do not think that you will be pulling
wheelies on this machine. But do not think it is under powered either. The
power comes on smooth and dependable. At first I was thinking it might be a
little under powered, but riding the Hawkeye was very enjoyable. I couldn’t
help but smile as we would hit the rougher sections of the trail and the
independent suspension soaked up the rocks and washes with ease. The body roll
wasn’t there. The handling was predictable and precise. When we hit a couple of
hills I just knew that the 300 cc machine would struggle or bog down. Not the
case. The engine turned out a good amount of torque and handled the hills with
ease. When we got to one section we stopped and watched an impressive display
of the new clutch system. The guide for our ride proceeded to take the Hawkeye
up a hill that was VERY steep and about 30 feet high. The guide then proceeded
to climb the hill with ease. He then came back down and did it AGAIN! Only this
time he stopped in the middle of the hill and then starts again. The 4wd worked
flawlessly and the Hawkeye never batted an eye. This showcased the torque and
power that the engine really had.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

good luck with it, dirthweels aparently really likes it aswell!

Old 11-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

should be a fun machine, congrats...

Old 11-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So about 7 days until you give us your ride review?

Old 11-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

Yep. If it comes in by friday, I will try to get it out next weekend. I just got lucky and got on the list to get one. There are five coming in and I am number 4 to get one. I am going to get the green and black with the black wheels. Other nice thing was the dealer said it is made by USA Polaris.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

I just talked to the dealer. I am going to pick up the Hawk at 3:00 tomorrow. Ill get it broken in real quick and get a review up. Turns out I am getting the black and silver instead of the green. I didnt want to wait till the next shipment for the green one. I am excited. Ill get some pics as soon as I get it home.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

that black and silver should be slick! hope ya like it!

Old 11-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Congrats on the new machine, I can't wait to hear how you like and if there's any "issues". Being the nosy red neck I am, I'll go ahead and ask what you shelled out for it. Hey, I'm real interested in getting another ATV too and the Hawk is on my short list.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Trailblazer

$5000 OTD - Realize that I am in Arizona too. These utility quads are so hot here. There is no such thing as a smoking deal found in these parts. I was happy to get one at that price seeing how there was a huge waiting list for the 4X4 hawks. Polaris has a promotion for a free 3year warranty on 06's too. For all the features I am getting with the hawk, I couldnt touch anything close to that OTD price in another quad. MSRP is $4700 so I guess that isnt too bad for OTD....

so more review literature....

I have ridden two of these personally. We even bolted on a set of 27 inch mudbuggs to see how it would work. For a 300cc machine well lets just say that I was very impressed. Even without low range it did very well with the 27 inch buggs installed. I could not get the belt to slip period. I could not even get the motor to bog down. I know what you are thinking. How could this be with no low range. It has alot to do with the new clutch design in this machine. It has almost twice the shift ratio of the regular clutch systems you see out there so they just gave it a lower final gearing. Only thing we could do to stop it was to highcenter it. Even tried to bog the motor down by pushing against a tree with the front bumper. It either tried to climb the tree or spun the 27 inch bugs into the ground. We went for a spin to find something else to try it out in. We encountered a river in which I proptly dove into. Had water up to about the racks and it was still running strong. Found some mud also and it was spinning the tires with will in it. We tried a steep enbankment also, well it was a ditch that was just wide enough to drop the whole machine into so that the rear tires were tight against one side and the front tires were against the other side. It was a few feet deep so I figured this would wedge the tires and cause it to bog. NO chance the motor spun the tires and the machine climbed out of the ditch without even a wimper.

In side by side drag tests (stock Hawkey and the big tired hawkeye) the stock machine would jump out a couple feet ahead of the larger tired one but that was it. They ran almost side by side to a top speed of around 43 to 45 mph. We ran then for a good half mile at full throttle and the stock one would maybe gain a foot or two more before we shut them down. We figure the big tired eye lost maybe 1 or 2 mph top end with the large tires on it.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

im sure the new hawkeye will be totaly awesome and bring in a new style of light weight small CC quads

Quick Reply: New 4X4 Hawkeye to arrive next week.