ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Smoked front diff-700sp (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/223264-smoked-front-diff-700sp.html)

itstillruns 11-26-2005 03:02 AM

Smoked front diff-700sp

I just got done taking apart my front diff(again) that plastic roller cage is busted..but.. I broke it doing donuts in the snow while in 2wheel drive. What the hay happened. Last time I destroyed the ring gear and case so Im lucky .I think its got something to do with the reverse override and sensor on right front brake rotor? anyone?

floodrunner 11-26-2005 09:29 AM

Smoked front diff-700sp

That “sensor” on your right front brake rotor is for your speedometer. Can’t guess why your front transfer case is broken (again) it’s an uncommon problem.

itstillruns 12-01-2005 01:51 AM

Smoked front diff-700sp

Well now I know what that sensor is for! thanks. from what I have been given from this site ,the prob is to much power! rpm causes the front to engage (hence AWD) . do you use a roller fairlead for winch rope and do you like the syn rope better than wire?

Totun 12-01-2005 10:50 AM

Smoked front diff-700sp

My understanding it is the Hilliard unit that broke. When I bought my 06 800 the dealer explained to me that Polaris was having trouble with the rollers getting magnetized when guys were doing donuts on the Ice. This sounds like it could be the trouble. They also sated that improvements were made to the 06 but I'm not clear on what they were. Maybe they can help you with an upgrade depending on what changed.

Totun

floodrunner 12-01-2005 12:51 PM

Smoked front diff-700sp

do you use a roller fairlead for winch rope and do you like the syn rope better than wire?[/quote]

You can use a roller fairlead with synthetic winch rope but it’s not the recommended set-up. We use aluminum Hawse fairleads made by Spidertrax. If you use a roller fairlead you should start with a new one that hasn’t been “scuffed up” by wire rope. Even minor burs on the rollers will abrade the synthetic rope.

Do I like the synthetic rope? Yeah, I like it a lot. We have it on both our trail machines and I wouldn’t go back to wire if you paid me. For a good review on the advantages of synthetic winch rope click here.

425Xpedition 12-01-2005 06:16 PM

Smoked front diff-700sp

When you rebuild the diff be sure and change the armature plate. The plate gets magnatized and causes the AWD to engage on its own, hence the broken cage. Polaris has an updated plate and cage now.

GoingVirtical 12-01-2005 09:23 PM

Smoked front diff-700sp

I just changed my amature plate in my 03 600. The information given to me was that this was upgraded in 04 models. When I compared the old one to the new style, there where notches around the inside diameter of the plate. I was told they made this design change to reduce the chance of magnitism at the plate. It worked perfectly when I was done. I would suggest to everyone to increase oil changes in the front diff, at least I will. I had also read in a thread that rear wheel spin in 2wd should be kept at 30mph or less to reduce the chances of armature plate magnitism.

zerowick 12-01-2005 11:47 PM

Smoked front diff-700sp

I also thought they upgraded for 04, I have an 04.5 and was told it had the upgrade. I just changed the front and rear gear case fluid along with the trans, only 45 hours since last time but manual says every year. after reading several posts about front "diff" issues I'm not taking any chances.

peace

itstillruns 12-02-2005 01:29 AM

Smoked front diff-700sp

Thanks ,Floodrunner for the great link to quadovator. Anyone else that plays in the mud should be checking out this site or similar sites. I know I've had the idiot light on for water and kept going cause I didnt think there was any way I could be running hot.Will have the guage, reverse override and 3headlight ordered tomorrow. As for my freshly rebuilt front diff , all works again,. Last time I smoked it Polaris sent me an entire new front diff,they wanted mine for inspection since I not only wiped out the Hilliard but split the ring gear and just about everything else inside was wasted too,. I did that snowplowing! late season bowhunt starts again then maybe some donuts on the ice (ha-ha)