Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do I need my ETC adjusted? 2006 500EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need my ETC adjusted? 2006 500EFI

Today I put a few miles on my 2006 500 EFI. Last week I had the "HOT" indicator fix. Towards the end of the day of riding, when I would accelerate then stop quickly the quad would die. When I start it, it idles nice. 1150RPM. I can rev it while the atv is not moving and it does not die. It only dies when I stop after the RPM's were up from driving it. As I'm stopping, the RPM's reduce to the point of almost stalling or a stall. Other than the atv stalling, this thing is real nice, powerfull and smooth. I now have 9 miles and 10 hrs on it.

Does it sound like my throttle cable has stretched and now needs to be adjusted?

Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

adjust your throotle free play a little more and try it again. It sounds like your ETC is a little tight.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

9 miles and 10 hrs??Thats a lot of slooooooow riding or idleing.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, I've been doing work around the property. I have a trailer that I pull around. I cut a tree, make rounds then load them into the trailer. It is slow. I have not really loaded it up that much. I'll wait until I break in the quad first. I've got the quad up to 50 mph uphill, it was still pulling but ran out of road.

ETC too tight or too loose? The idle is right on, so why would the RPM's dip so low when I stop? Hum! Could it have something to do with the EBS not releasing? (I don't know how it works, just thinking like a torq converter).

Old 12-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its under warranty so I would take it in.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, if it’s convenient take it back to the dealer. That’s not really how an ill-adjusted ETC would show up but you can’t rule it out either. At the first sign of ETC weirdness I’ve always just disabled ours. Another idea from the SSS (self-appointed saviors of the stupid) Seems to me if you’re throttle gets stuck all you have to do is hit the kill switch of turn off the key.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: redmtn
Today I put a few miles on my 2006 500 EFI. Last week I had the "HOT" indicator fix. Towards the end of the day of riding, when I would accelerate then stop quickly the quad would die. When I start it, it idles nice. 1150RPM. I can rev it while the atv is not moving and it does not die. It only dies when I stop after the RPM's were up from driving it. As I'm stopping, the RPM's reduce to the point of almost stalling or a stall. Other than the atv stalling, this thing is real nice, powerfull and smooth. I now have 9 miles and 10 hrs on it.

have to tell you that my 500EFI is doing the SAME thing. also mine is difficult to shift out of low. called my Dealer (they are really getting to know me well in service dept!LOL) they said something in the CLUTCHING needs adjustment. didn't say anything about ETC.
i'm going to drop it off asap and will post the fix.
~MT

Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I'll give them a call today. Thanks everyone, I'll let you guys know when I find out something.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ok, i just picked up my EFI. they said the ENGINE was out of ALIGNMENT.

it seems to shift well now. the stalling i will test more this weekend.

see y'all!

~MT

Old 12-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I got my quad back from the new dealer yesterday. He said he didn't know why my quad was stalling when I stopped. He checked the ETC, throttle cable and idle. All right on. He then checked the belt alignment. He said it was a little off. He took out a spacer and said it was now perfect. When we took it out for a test ride, it still stalled. And now I have a clunk in the drivetrain when I let off the throttle and hit the throttle again. The dealer said he doesn't know why it stalls and gave me my quad back. I asked him if he would call Polaris and he said he would try, "They are hard to get a hold of." and would call me if they find anything out. I knew I shouldn't have been so picky and just lived with the stalling. Now I have stalling and clunking. Some people say the drive train clunking is normal and won't hurt anything. I just want to know why it started clunking now after the belt alignment. Now what should I do? He also said the famous Polaris mechanic saying, "At least it's under warranty." For me to take my quad in, it's an all day drive round trip. I also have to take a day off work.

Quick Reply: Do I need my ETC adjusted? 2006 500EFI