Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

worthless peice of shat carburator

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worthless peice of shat carburator

i am having the WORST luck EVER with my stupid carburator. i went and got a Dyno-Jet kit for my predator so i can put on my new intake and everything and i go to take the vacume cap off so i can get to the fuel needle and i cant get them undone. i try vice grips, flat head drivers, phillups drivers. so i finnaly just take my entire bike the 2 miles up to the dealer and have him impact driver the 2 bolts off, i get it home and put the dynojet needle in, and there after spend an hour and a half figuring out how to get the carburator off the bike so i can put the new 170 jet in. i finnaly figure out how to get the throttle cable off the roller, but im still having a really hard time getting the choke cable out. i cant figure it out, theres the big brass bolt, but i dont have any wrenches that'll give me enough slack in the tight space to be able to turn the bolt. i think its a metric 17mm but its hell.

and my biggest problem is the 4 damn screws on the bottom blocking my way to the main jet. i cant get them out! ive tried everything, and my screws are starting to strip at the teeth. if i can figure out how to get the choke cable out im going to take the whole carb up to my dealer and have them impact driver the screws out.

im really tempted to go find/take/steal/monopolly money 400 bucks and buy a brand new edelbrock carb with the twisty and just mount that.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Patience my man, mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. Don't make it hard, it's not that tough. Do yourself a big favor and go buy an impact screwdriver, they're about 20 bucks at Sears. It will take all those screws out easily, they can be replaced or reused. Put a little never seize compound on the threads so they don't stick. Pull the carb out of the intake boot, pull the choke **** out then unscrew the choke assy from the carb. Loosen the throttle cable adjuster and remove the cable from the carb and head for the bench...

Old 12-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks power slider, but i own an impact driver, its just really old and im not sure if it works right, and i rather not use something ive never used before and question if it works at all on something so delicit. and if i strip one of those screws, its going to be hell trying to get it out.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'm trying to save you some grief along with most other guys in your predicament. I've taken two of my Pred carbs apart and reused the same screws with the impact screwdriver. Twist the driver in the direction you want the screw to rotate and tap on it with a hammer, the cam action inside the driver greatly increases rotating torque while driving the bit into the screwhead. They work!!!

Get a slide spring for an 05 DS650 and open up the slide holes on each side of the needle to 1/8". Remove the brass plug covering the idle mixture screw so you can adjust that also....

Old 12-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i dont plan on keeping this carb longer than i have to, so im just trying to make some mods to make it worth my while. as far as the brass plug, i already drilled it and removed while i was waiting for my dad to get home to help me find the impact driver.

if i can get this damn thing out then i could do the work myself, but this choke cable has got me parked. the line runs into a bolt thats like a sleeve holding the tention and guiding the line in smoothly. then theres a giant brass bolt that that bolts onto that bolts onto the carb (...yeah) i cant figure out how to get the big bolt off the carb, if thats what you do at all. id use pliars to break it loose and hand screw it from tehre, but i dont want to screw up the knerling and make it look bad.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

I just use an open end wrench on the choke nut, I think it is 17mm. It shouldn't be that tight, once broke loose you can remove it with fingers. Pull the choke **** out so the plunger won't come off the cable. With the carb out of the intake boot you can rotate it enough to get the wrench on it...

Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

im goning to finish working on it in the morning. as soon as i can get that line out im gonna stick it in a vise and get those screws out

Old 12-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It is a good carb.........just a little tough to work on. Don't go with the eldabrock..........trust me. If anything, contact Doug, and get that 450r dirtbike carb.......that is a good deal, and a good carb!!! If I had the money, that would be mine.........and if I had more, I'd go with one of his other carbs.........

If vice grips don't get the screws out.........then get a dremel tool and cut a slot in them........so a strait screw driver will work.......but don't cut it too big, the tighter the better. Also, replace them(once out).......with some Lowes(or wherever)........alan head metric bolts.........

Old 12-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Also, replace them(once out).......with some Lowes(or wherever)........alan head metric bolts.........
Size>4m-70-10s (4 for the bowl) and 4m-70-8s (3 for the throttle cover). It will save you a headache for the next time.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks guys

brad, im just kind of sick with these japanese carbs, ive never head any luck with them and they never run right for me. i knoe edelbrock makes good products and everything. i'll see what happens

Quick Reply: worthless peice of shat carburator