Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 Sportman, shifter issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Sportman, shifter issue

On my 1999 500 Sportsman my shifter (std H Patern shifter) wont go into 4 low. I had some issues with this shifter where all of the allen heads on the top of the shifter box had partly backed themselves out so there was a gap between the lid and the main housing, and the shifter seemed to be freezing up in the cold. I would go out to plow and the shifter was locked, and I would have to put on the garage heat and thaw it out before it would work. I tightened down the allen heads (not too tight, but snug) and now the shifter will not allow 4 low (it just wont go over there). Any ideas on what may be happening here. Is there some lubrication that needs to be done on the actual shifter? The transmission side seems fine, and if I unhook the linkage the transmission will shift fine manually. Any Ideas? I didn't want to take all of the allen heads out to open up the shifter box because it seemed to be spring loaded and I was afraid I may have a mess on my hands if I opened it.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

there is supposed to be oil in there, my book says 10-40 motor oil to one half the height of the slides, I bet youve lost the oil out of it . Hope this helps, the book explains taking it apart and servicing it, do you know anyone with a manual to look at?

Old 12-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Range Rover

Take the screws out and remove the cap. Nothing will jump out, just pay attention to what goes where. Clean out the case, you probably have water in it from the case seperation. Fill it up half way with the oil you put into the front hubs. I will look at my service manual when I get home just to be sure of the lube but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 1996 Sportsman 500 that won't go into 4 wheel drive when its cold. It seems to work good when its warm or after I have been using it for awhile. Do you think its possibly the same thing, water?

Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mike, My issue here is with the mechanics of the shifter, not with the 4wd. The shifter 'std H Box' itself had a problem where the screws holding the box together had partially backed themselves out to the point that there was a gap where water could enter, and oil could escape. It would appear that that is why mine was freezing up, because it didn't have much oil remaining and the oil was compromised with water. I have however had some issues with entering 4wd (via the switch) where it will become unengaged randomly. It would appear to be an electrical issue that exists with the 4wd someplace, not sure where. It never happens in summer though, only in winter when I am plowing, and only once in a while. Those are the fun problems to figure out I guess.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

OnWheels, Thanks for the quick reply. I drained the hubs and added new oil. The only time it wouldn't go into 4 wheel drive is when it was below freezing and a local Polaris shop mech said that there may be water in the hub and when it freezes it won't go into 4 wheel drive. It didn't seem to work at first but then started working. I will have to try it tomorrow. I am afraid that just trying for a bit may have warmed the hubs and therefor melted the ice in the hubs (if that is what it is). I had to be out of town today and wasn't able to try it. I just picked up a Warren 2.5 winch and want to install that tomorrow. I will let you know if it seems to be working tomorrow. Any other ideas let me know.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I drained the hubs and refilled with fluid. At first it didn't work well. I used it bit and then let it sit for a couple of days. The 4wheel drive works great now. I also am real happy with the Warren 2.5 winch I installed.