Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ITP MUDLITES OR 589"S ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP MUDLITES OR 589"S ??????????

WHAT TIRE IS BETTER NEED SOME HELP. IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO TO HELP OUT THAT WOULD MAKE MY DAY THANKS

Old 01-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for what i've read and talked to differnt people w/ the 589's say their real good in mud but dont handle all that well on hard pack. the lites thats on my wifes t.blazer does real well in the traction dept. and handles alright as well. the new radails would be good.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

go with the 589's they are awsome in the mud and really not bad on the trails. i put 12x12x26 on rear and12x9x26 on front. the only bad thing i can think of is i lost alittle of top end speed. check out my pics.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider

I love my 589s.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Pro Rider

What kind of machine do you have. The 589s are very heavy and specifically designed for mud. The Mud Lights are a good all around tire and don't take away as much power.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Pro Rider

When riding sown at the Hatfield McCoy trails this past summer, I hit a hidden jagged rock and bent my front right wheel and tore my Good Year Rawhides (love those tires). I had to buy new wheels and tires since no one in the area had replacements. Anyway, I wanted the 589's, but the only place that had wheels to fit my 600 was a Goodyear place, and they only had the Mud Lites, and only in a 25x10-12 rear and 25x8-12 front...stock rear is 25x11-12. So I bought them. They look small on my Sportsman 600, but they, tires and ITP C-Series 4 aluminum wheels, are way lighter than the stock setup, so it's acually faster (quicker). They handle okay and have pretty good traction, but I think I like the stock Rawhides better. Plus, the Mudlites look tamer. If I were getting new tires again, I think I'd get the 589's, unless you step up a size, but even then, I'd still ike the extra grip.

On a side note...After I returned home, I went to my local Polaris dealer and bought a stock front wheel, and had my original Rawhide tire mounted on it, and it holds air. The tire actually wasn't that bad, just messed up the wheel, bent it so the bead wouldn't seat. So I take them with me when I take a trip to ride, i.e. H/M trail trip.

Check out my pics, they have my quad and tires and stuff on there. Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

You’re talking about two very different tires there. 589s are heavier, more aggressive and will last about 3-4x as long as the bias ply Mud Lites. I think they’re the better mudder although it depends on what kind of mud you’re in. You can spin the Mud Lites easier and sometimes that helps clean-out. At very slow speeds you’ll feel the big lugs on the 589s in the handlebars. I thought they tracked very predictably in all the varied conditions we ride. After almost 5000 miles on a set I sold them to a guy who’s still riding them. That’s longevity!

Mud Lites are lighter and smoother riding. They track predictably in just about all conditions and do a decent job in the mud. My biggest complaint about them is the rubber compound is so soft it wears really fast if you’re on any kind of abrasive terrain. They’re also cheaper to replace though.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Just got some 26" 589s for my 800 and they ride good on all surfaces(low air preasure). 1st ride on them last week a I couldnt get stuck in anything. They have an awsome bead lip on them which makes it almost impossible for anything to scratch or dent your rims. I had to order spacers though becouse of the squared off side wall will make it rub on the outer tie rod ends. They make your bike look amazing. My only complaint is that the lugz are so aggresive that their is no power sliding into turns and it tends to grab the side of the ruts and take you were ever it wants to go.

A friend of mine had them on a 04 600 with a lift kit and the ride was terrible (looked very tough especially with no racks). The compressed springs made it ride so rough. He switched them out to his 03 700 (which is viewable in my pics) and he had them on c-series rims, which kept them from rubbing on the tie rods but not the wheel wells (only in rugged terrain). He just switched to 25" Mudlite xtrs this month and really likes the ride, but his bike doesn't look that tough anymore. He didn't have any problems in the mud, and we were putting them to the test. His 700 has alot of performace mods and comes real close to keeping up with me, so their's a little extra power to help get through the mud.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

WE just recently put some spyder tracs( i think they are 589's?) all i know is they are HUGE, on my Kodiak 400 4x4, I lost a TON of top end [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img], they aren't very good on hard pack as said earlier! I'm really thinking of selling the tires & going w/ the Mudlites due to how heavy they are! They probably aren't that bad on a bigger cc machine & will go thru ANYTHING I"m sure hahaha
I have a steering stabilizer to put on w/ them but haven't yet maybe I'll like them better w/ that though who knows [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck on your choice!!

Old 01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

What tire preasure are you running? I started at 10lbs(real rough) and ended up at 5lbs which has no vibration at all. If you do get Mudlites get the xtrs the lugz are like 1.5"s but closer together and real soft, rides very smooth yet has plenty of traction.

Quick Reply: ITP MUDLITES OR 589"S ??????????