ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   2 Strokes back agian? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/227779-2-strokes-back-agian.html)

enFORCER 01-15-2006 09:02 PM

2 Strokes back agian?

Yes well the 2006 line up means nothing.
What you see in 2006 does not mean that is what you see in 2007 or after that. The E-tec technology is new. There is no reason why they would not use the technology in there other marine products eventually.
Like I said.
1. Cost less money to build.
2. Cost less labor to assemble.
3. Better power to weight ratio.
4. Better fuel economy.
5. Less maintenance.
6. Cleaner burnning than the 4-strokes that they are using now.

hardcoreatv 01-15-2006 09:19 PM

2 Strokes back agian?

everyone knows 2 strokes are more powerful than 4 strokes. why do you think they race 125 2 strokes with 250fs its because a 4 stroke cannot keep up to a 2 stroke with the same size engine. they should start making 450 2 strokes and than they would have to make a big 900 4 stroke to stand a chance. 4 strokes are pathetic when compared to the same size engine 2 stroke.

BryceGTX 01-15-2006 09:46 PM

2 Strokes back agian?

The 951 Direct injection has been in Seadoos for 6 years. The Skidoo semi direct injection has been in Sleds for 4 years. These engines are not that new. In 2005, Seadoo had 3 different two stroke engines. In 2006 they have only one.

Yamaha has only a single two stroke in their Jetskis. the GPR. All others are four strokes. Kawasaki only has the 900 STX and the stand up in their Jetskis. Honda has no two strokes jetskis.

Now boats are a different story. The two stroke seems to be alive and kicking in the outboards, athough 4 strokes are gaining ground.

You may be right about price. If you want a cheap outboard or jetski, it has traditionally been a two stroke. But that compares carbed two strokes with carbed four strokes. The cost however, is that the two stroke is less durable. But when we look at high tech two strokes, cost is no longer an advantage. One problem with the high tech two strokes is that the technology is complicated and when it breaks, it is not cheap to fix. Just ask an owner of the 951 DI engine in a Seadoo. The direct injection requires a high pressure pump with careful control of the injection. That is one reason why BRP came out with the SDI.

Snowmobiles, the two strokes are alive and strong. All the manufacturers except Yamaha are deeply enchrenched in two strokes. However, they all have four stroke sleds and they are working on new models.

I would never say that a two stroke of any design is inherently more clean than a four stroke. The comparison that you often see compares a carbed four stroke with a DI two stroke. This is hardly a fair comparison. Compare a low emissions four stroke with a low emissions two stroke and you get a more fair comparison.

Bryce

enFORCER 01-15-2006 10:19 PM

2 Strokes back agian?

Originally posted by: BryceGTX

I would never say that a two stroke of any design is inherently more clean than a four stroke. The comparison that you often see compares a carbed four stroke with a DI two stroke. This is hardly a fair comparison. Compare a low emissions four stroke with a low emissions two stroke and you get a more fair comparison.

Bryce
This is not true. The comparison I read compared two similar models. The 4 stroke was not an out-dated model with a carburetor. The fact is the E-tec had much lower emission levels at all RPM's compared to the 4-stroke.

enFORCER 01-15-2006 10:31 PM

2 Strokes back agian?

In 2003, Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) introduced Evinrude E-TEC, an outboard engine for marine recreational products, which is based on a two-stroke engine technology. Compared to a similar 2004 four-stroke engine, carbon monoxide emissions with Evinrude E-TEC are typically 30 to 50 percent lower; and at idle are lower by a factor of 50 to 100 times. In addition, Evinrude E-TEC emits 30 to 40 percent less total particulate matter on a weight basis than a similar “ultra-low emissions” four-stroke outboard. Furthermore, oxides of nitrogen and hydrocarbon emissions for Evinrude E-TEC are similar, if not lower, than a four-stroke outboard. There are no oil changes with this engine, as well as no belts, and no valve or throttle linkage adjustments. This makes Evinrude E-TEC engines easier to own than comparable four-stroke engines. In addition, numerous advancements combine to create the Evinrude E-TEC quiet signature sound including an exclusive idle air bypass circuit.

There's a little more food for thought......

Polaridoo 01-16-2006 12:25 AM

2 Strokes back agian?

How much for a gallon of the BRP 2 cycle oil? If it's the same $40 dollar a gallon stuff my friend uses in his REV 800 that might be big dollar deciding factor.

BryceGTX 01-16-2006 12:51 AM

2 Strokes back agian?

LOL.. An outboard motor manufacturers idea of a low emission four stroke is incredibly worse than any automobile engine. I don't expect that we will be seeing any automobile company pounding down the doors of BRP so that they can replace all of the automobile engines with BRPs DI engines. The emission demands of boats, ATVs and snowmobiles is not nearly so stringent as for autos.

For the year 2006:
The allowed HC+NOx allowed for a 30hp outboard motor is 1012 grams per hour.
The allowed HC+NOx allowed for a car is 60 gram per hour for an auto going 60 mph.
Go to the www.epa.gov to check the NOx requirements for 2006.

There is no comparison between boat engines and car engines for emissions. Now if the NOx is similar to a 2006 four stroke outboard, then it has a long way to go before it can even come close to an automobile. And the car has to hold those emissions over 5 years or 50,000 miles.

Bryce

enFORCER 01-16-2006 06:42 AM

2 Strokes back agian?

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
LOL.. An outboard motor manufacturers idea of a low emission four stroke is incredibly worse than any automobile engine. I don't expect that we will be seeing any automobile company pounding down the doors of BRP so that they can replace all of the automobile engines with BRPs DI engines. The emission demands of boats, ATVs and snowmobiles is not nearly so stringent as for autos.

For the year 2006:
The allowed HC+NOx allowed for a 30hp outboard motor is 1012 grams per hour.
The allowed HC+NOx allowed for a car is 60 gram per hour for an auto going 60 mph.
Go to the www.epa.gov to check the NOx requirements for 2006.

There is no comparison between boat engines and car engines for emissions. Now if the NOx is similar to a 2006 four stroke outboard, then it has a long way to go before it can even come close to an automobile. And the car has to hold those emissions over 5 years or 50,000 miles.

Bryce
Ahuh, and who's comparing marine engines to automobile engines??????????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
You need to read this thread over. This thread is NOT about comparing an outboard 2 stroke engine to todays new car engines LOL!!!! No one said any automobile companys are looking at putting 2 stroke outboard engines in there cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And myself I don't really see it happening either, LOL unless there is a real big ass flood!!!!!!!!!

scramblered 01-16-2006 11:31 AM

2 Strokes back agian?

i've read in quebec magazine up here from bombardier that they should able to make them rev 10000 rpm those new E-TEC engines,we all known polaris is coming with DFI and arctic cat the same ways next year,,
and for those who don't watch motocross race results,you'll learn
that 2 stroke are still the champion'choices for any class out there.

BryceGTX 01-16-2006 12:52 PM

2 Strokes back agian?

Ahuh, and who's comparing marine engines to automobile engines
My original statement was:

I would never say that a two stroke of any design is inherently more clean than a four stroke.
Point is, the 4 stroke can always be made cleaner than a 2 stroke. And the car is the prime example of that.
Bryce

BTW, all of my toys are two stroke. I prefer two strokes because using carbs, they are simple, light weight and produce good power.