Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Where to buy a weatherized horn switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy a weatherized horn switch?

I put a car horn on mine...13.00 @ autozone...125dB! I kinda figured I wanted to be the loudest on the trail, at least horn-wise. Plus, other riders can hear me from a pretty good distance, so it makes a good safety feature. Kinda better than shooting the guns to rally the others in the group.

Also, floodrunner, I emailed woodsman @ quadovator to ask a couple of questions...this seems to be just what the doctor ordered. too bad my sportsman is an 04...I'll just have to modify my headlight pod top to fit the new rocker switch. I've got to put some worklights back there too...so I can have those and back-up lights...that's a smart mod!

Then it's time for the highlifter HD spring kit for all four corners to eliminate my suspension sag issues, and then...new tires...either the PXT's that come on the 05's and 06's or the Maxxis bighorns in the 26" size...

Then, the floorboard protection and CV boot guards for all four corners.

Gosh...I must love this "sport," if you will...

Old 01-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: wayout
polaris makes a great horn kit $20.00

Gotta part #? My dealer's not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

rangertom, part#42874024 is for 2004 models and back;;; #2875048 is for 2005 and up.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

floodrunner; it sounds like we're talking about the same thing,i bought mine at auto zone.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

floodrunner; i read your thread again maybe we ai'nt talking about the same thing mine is round like you say it's about 1" thick and 4" around with a bracket on it for mounting.. gold in color..

Old 01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

That's the one, gold 4" round. We have one on each of our trail machines and neither lasted long in the terrain we ride in.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

I put regular car horns on both of my machines, one in 98 and one in 04, bought them at bumper to bumper for 13 bucks, installed them so the opening was pointed down and used a good spring loaded toggle switch with the rubber cap over it, never any problems at all.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I have the RO using the relay that is posted here. Maybe I'll check with my dealers on the polaris horn kit. Alot of the summer resorts we ride in require horns on any motorized vehicle due to alot of pedestrian traffic throughout the campgrounds. Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

wayout,
Thanks! I'll have them order it...if i don't like it, I won't buy it...but i'll get to see it, and they'll have another polaris product they can sell as such to someone...

Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: rangertom
wayout,
Thanks! I'll have them order it...if i don't like it, I won't buy it...but i'll get to see it, and they'll have another polaris product they can sell as such to someone...
OK! Check this out...I was at my dealer yesterday, and rifled through all their ordering catalogs. After about 15 minutes of me looking, one of the parts guys suggests I look at the "Kawasaki Mule" horn kit. Before they even got it out I asked, "Why the hell have I not seen this before?" They apologized and got it out for me to inspect. Turns out, they didn't think I wanted a horn switch that I'd have to install in the headlight pod...nice...

Anyway, this switch is waterproof/dustproof. The horn is typical of an m/c horn, but the switch is HQ.

I bought it, though it was 38 bucks for the kit.

I also had them show me the Polaris horn kit, but it was in the Ranger section of the Polaris catalog and cost $59! It didn't look near as rugged as the Kawasaki set, so I went with that.

I'm still going to do the R.O. kit from quadovator on mine, but my father-in-law's machine will get the Kawasaki set-up. I talked it over with him, and he doesn't give a crap about how his horn works, just that he's got one. Also, he hasn't really ridden his 500EFI enough in tough terrain to realize how nice it'd be to be to not have to use the yellow button when reversing out of a tight spot. Oh well...I learned a LOT in this exercise.

Thanks to all who advised,

Tom

Quick Reply: Where to buy a weatherized horn switch?